He got over his shock on June 5th, when we, along with our friends Chris and Will Clark, spent the day in Yountville so that I could be Mayor for the day!
We met Mayor John Dunbar at 8:30am for breakfast a the famed Bouchon Bakery in downtown Yountville. He arrived first and had the best table on the patio reserved for us. During our breakfast of coffee and pastries, about a half dozen Thomas Keller (the famous chef who owns The French Laundry restaurant in Yountville) employees came to the table to greet him. Each time he introduced us, I felt like royalty!
The Mayor and I-
| That's my winning certificate from the auction that I'm holding! |
After breakfast we toured the town, which is picture perfect. It reminded me so much of Pinehurst & Southern Pines, NC, where Brian and I met and lived after begging married. Of course we stopped at the town hall, and yes I got the gavel out!!
48 hours prior, the ton council had approved the plans for the expansion of the French Laundry kitchen. We were all in awe of the blue prints, still hanging on the wall-
We also got to see/touch the granite and cabinet materials- which also needed to be approved, because of the historic value of the property.
After our walking tour, we drove to the California Veterans Home and cemetery. It is such a beautiful property and for years we have driven by and I have joked to Brian that I should get our names (yes, wives can live there too!) on the waitlist now!
A beautiful view from the top of the cemetery-
We drove back into town for a very exciting part of the day next... While the Mayor could not promise to get us into The French Laundry for a tour, he was able to get us a private tour of the culinary gardens with Aaron Keefer, head gardner and former French Laundry chef. We were psyched!
We quickly learned that Aaron is brilliant, and has a very cool job. He took us throughout the gardens & greenhouse on a "tasting tour." Delicious strawberries-
And 3 different types of basil-

But the best by far was the oyster spinach! It looked similar to spinach, but tasted just like oysters. It blew our minds.
They have goats and chickens too. The best chicken coop ever!
It seemed like Aaron would have talked with us forever! We spent at least an hour with him and if we didn't have lunch reservations, we could have stayed another 2 hours. Before we said good-bye, he gave us all a box of their "famous" shortbread cookies too!


The Mayor casually mentioned to him our hope of touring the restaurant and guess what? In we went!
Side note- Thomas Keller lives in a very modest home, right behind the restaurant. We saw it.
We toured the restaurant, which seemed small and modest to me. And the kitchen too- again, very small. (hence the future renovation!) Chris was in heaven when we entered the kitchen. I thought she might faint, or pee herself.
Head chef, David Breeden and another chef were perfecting the night's menu-
It was such a rare opportunity that we had! We were all in awe and now have to save every penny to eat there someday!
Next up- lunch at Bottega-
The owner/chef, Michael Chiarello was not there, but the maitre'd kept sending food to our table from the kitchen- again, making us feel like celebrities!
Funny story- Brian and I have been to this restaurant once before. And we met, and were waited on at the bar, by Michael Chairello that night! Brian was so shocked he couldn't even speak. We also saw Carlos Sanata that night at the restaurant too!
After lunch- wine tasting at Hope and Grace.
Brian and I had been here before, but wanted to try it again. I am so glad we requested it, because when you travel with the Mayor, everything is better! Owner/winemaker Charles Hendricks was tasting with us! Again, if we had more time, we could have stayed and tasted everything for 4 hours!
We did taste a few special wines, one of which he made only 15 cases of!
While the guys chatted/sipped a little longer, Chris and I ran out to do some shopping at Napa Style (Michael Chiarello's store) and Finesse (Thomas Keller's store) and then sadly, it was time to rush home by 6pm to the kids and babysitters. It was an amazing day, well worth every penny. It was so special to share this with Chris and Will, two fellow wine and food lovers too.
And now we know what Brian will do after the Air Force- run for Mayor of Yountville!






No comments:
Post a Comment