Tate goes camping once a month with Boy Scouts and for the September campout, they would be working on their Wildness Survival Merit Badge. This campout was no joke. They would sleep on an island, arrive in the dark, and have to carry all their gear in- either by canoe, or by wading through the water. The had to build their own shelters to sleep in, bring shovel to bury their poop and eat military grade MRE's and/or the fish they caught. NO THANK YOU!
But, of course I signed Tate right up! Packing was a bit challenging, because they needed so much (first aide kit, fire starters, etc etc) but could only bring what they would be able to carry on their back. Somehow, we managed to get him packed and off he went Friday afternoon, so brave and courageous...
On Sunday morning I got a text from the leader saying Tate had survived! Here he is Sunday morning back at camp after sleeping in the woods overnight in a shelter he'd made, headlamp still on even-
This was their beautiful camping spot-
It was a big deal and I was relieved for Tate that all went great and he was on his way home... I knew he would want a hot shower and some lazy lounging time on the couch that afternoon for sure. But- I had other plans for us.
My cousin Steven Brault has played minor league baseball for the last 4 years. He is currently with the Pittsburg Pirates, and plays for their highest level minor league team, AAA in Indianapolis. A few time a month this season, they have "called him up" to the major league to pitch for the Pirates. This is a last minute decision that sometimes happens only 48 hours before a game. So when his mom told me on Friday night that he would be the starting pitcher for Sunday afternoons game here in DC, I knew we had to go!
We had seen Steven play once before, 3 years ago when we had first moved here and he was playing against our minor league team. Since then the kids have treated him like a celebrity, have collected all his baseball cards and cherish the baseballs he signed for them at the game 3 years ago.
We hadn't yet been to a Nationals game, and the weather was going to be perfect! I bought the best seats we could afford (and they were amazing!) and was psyched up for this game- the last of the season. Macy was too. However, I knew it would take some convincing for Tate, since he was just coming out of a weekend in the woods. Hiking into DC for a long ass baseball game was not going to be what he wanted to do.
Oh well.
I decided to take the metro into the city, which is always a gamble for me as to whether or not its easier, faster, cheaper. But it would certainly add to the fun adventure.
We're here! Nationals Park-
The kids got so excited when Steven came out and threw the first pitch that others around us asked if we knew the pitcher? Macy was thrilled to say "He's our cousin!"
Steven's parents Dan & Amy flew in from California for this game-
And they gave the kids each a Pirates ball freshly signed by Steven-
Baseball games are longgggg, so I had the kids bring along some stuff to do-
I had no idea just how longggggg this game would go- it went so long that it will go down in history as the longest game of the season!
But- it was worth sticking around until the end because we were able to go down to the field to get some time with Steven-
Crazy enough, because the game went so long, he had to run out of there himself because he was on a flight to Colorado that night and was now at risk of missing the flight because of the longggggg game.
A little fun on the metro home-
This metro car was brand spanking shiny new. I felt a tad badly about letting Macy climb all over it, but not that bad... Door to door- 1pm to 10pm. A long and expensive day, but so very priceless. Adventure always awaits, you just have to say YES!


No comments:
Post a Comment