Friday, July 3, 2020

Week 5, part 1- Virginia

We got back to Virginia and settled in for the night at the Melendez's, because on Monday night we would go s a family to a local hotel with Brian! All day Monday I kept busy, but the day dragged on... Tate had an orthodontist appointment, we went on a quick shopping spree to our favorite thrift store, and then the kids went to the old neighborhood for the afternoon, while Christine and I, along with Mia and Mackenzie, went back to the thrift store! We even stopped off at the hotel so I could check in and get our room key. 

After dinner Brian called- he had landed! He would get luggage, a rental car and come to the Melendez's to meet up with us. Jose, Christine and I went out for a walk to try to pass the time, and I may have over estimated how long it would take for Brian to get to us, because as we were walking, a car slowed down as the passed by us and then pulled over... I said to Christine and Jose, I bet that is Brian! And I tried not to run towards the car, just in case it wasn't him! But it was!

The kids for sure were not tracking the time, just hanging out back at the house. So boy were they surprised when I called them downstairs and they saw Brian- 

 

We checked out of the Melendez's and into the hotel. Tuesday we decided would be a family day and we headed out to a local nature walk-
And then we went to Top Golf! We'd never been there, but had talked about it the summer before and just ran out of time. It turned out to be the best socially distanced activity on a hot summer day. We all loved it. 
Tuesday night the Melendez's had us over for dinner, and offered to keep the kids overnight- okay! And boy did we need it. We had a date night planned for Wednesday night, but having quality alone time together could not come soon enough. 

Wednesday morning Brian and Jose took the kids- and our Jonathan- fishing while Christine and I went out to have our nails done. Then after lunch Brian and Iwent to the Mann's to hang out with Eve and Brian for a bit, leaving our kids there overnight while we headed into Old Town Alexandria for a night away. Brian chose a beautiful hotel-
And we had a great escape! It was exactly what we both needed. It felt normal to be together, although eating in restaurants was odd. However, I knew I couldn't get used to this because soon enough we would have to be apart again for who knows how long... I tried not to "time travel" and to just be grateful for each day we had together here and now. Most of the time it worked.

Thursday the kids spent the day in the old neighborhood one last time-
And Thursday night our bible study group ALL got together for a picnic- 


It was so so fun to have everyone back together! Thursday night we crashed at the Melendez's, saying goodbye on Friday morning-

Christine prayed over us all right before we left. That alone was such a gift. But staying with them , sharing meals, doing house projects, having long hard talks about everything from marriage to racism, just felt like one big gift. And it was such a wonderful, albeit quick, week back "home" with Brian. It felt good, it felt normal. It was so hard to say good-bye to everyone, not knowing when we would be back together again. Well, me at least- Brian would get another week in DC for work!

ps- we almost stayed at the Melendez's for an extended stay, as Nico was exposed to someone who had tested positive for cover the week before, so he had to be tested too. Test results took sooooo long that they didn't know if they were traveling to NY on Friday morning and we didn't know if we were traveling to WV on Friday morning either, because we wanted to wait on confirmed negative test results before possibly exposing anyone if he was positive, as we would have then been exposed and would need to get tested and so on... UGH! It was emotional and frustrating, and in the end Wayne and Diane were comfortable with our still coming and on Saturday morning Nico got NEGATIVE results! Praise God. 

pps- we tried to hold off telling the kids we may not go to WV as long as we could, but after breakfast on Friday morning they realized there was a delay in our leaving and we had to tell them. OH MACY! As I've said before, she is not a crier- but she was crushed. Sobbing.  It was heartbreaking. (And i know the Melendez's all felt the same way about their trip to NY possibly being canceled too...)





No comments:

Post a Comment