Saturday, August 8, 2020

Celebrating Jose

On Friday Aug 7, Jose retired from the Marine Corps after 27 years of service. Almost 2 years ago when Jose started planning his retirement, he asked Brian if he would be the one to officially retire him. Brian was honored and planned to fly home for the ceremony. 

Then the world shut down because of COVID and there was no way that Brian was going to be able to be there for the retirement... but luckily- because of stupid COVID- we both got to spend time with Jose & Christine this summer thankfully and Brian was able to have a pre-retirement celebration with him for a few days while he was back in DC for work. 

And on Aug 8th at 1am, Brian and I tuned in to watch the retirement ceremony live- from our bed in Jakarta! It was a beautiful socially distanced ceremony and we were touched by what Jose shared about our close friendship. 

Then the following day when Jose and Christine walked into the retirement party, we were there- 


Well, kind of. I surprised them and ordered a 5ft tall cut-out of Brian & I, sent it to Eve and she and Brian snuck us into the party a few hours before the guests came- 

They had no idea how we got there and it was so fun getting messages and pictures all night-  













In a way, I felt like we were there... Jose said they took us home and had coffee with us the next morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment