Thursday June 9 was the kids last day of school. And we were flying out on Friday June 10! So after saying goodbye to our staff, we took the kids out for an end of the school year/end of assignment celebratory dinner to Tom's- one of our favorite fancy-ish restaurants.
Side note- the day this picture was taken was the last time Tate got a haircut for NINE months! He was such a rockstar in Jakarta- he walked to the barber and was able to correspond with them enough in Bahasa to get his hair cut solo each time.
Friday morning rolled around and we had very little to do before our early evening flight. So I did what I loved to do one more time-
The American Club pool was just a few steps from our backyard. I loved escaping up there for an hour or so to get some "fresh" air, sunshine, read my book and chew my cup of ice. Yup, I'd ask for a cup of ice- no water- and happily chew away. It melted quick since it was so HOT (and it kept my body temp low so I never had to go in the pool) and once my ice was gone, I'd go home. So knowing the suitcases were all packed up, I headed up to the club for one last cup of ice before we headed to the airport.
Speaking of suitcases-
Not too shabby considering what was in them. Everything for our 3 week vacation in the US and life in Korea before our stuff gets delivered. Plus all the odds and ends, gifts and random crap that you are given or the packers forget!
Our sweet neighbors Kiera and Kalub rushed home from work to send us off. She was adamant about waving us off from the driveway- which was so incredibly sweet. When you move your whole life, it's the little things- like a send off- that can some times be the icing on the cake.
Off we go- all smiles!
We were ready. Physically and emotionally. I was not sad. I was happy to have had this experience- this place, this culture, these friends, all of it- but I did not need a day more. My heart was full.
Perusing the bookshop at the airport before we boarded and what do Brian and Tate see- THE HOUSE THEY STAYED IN after their Rinjani hike on the cover of a travel book featuring luxury homes across the world!
I'll never forget the first time I saw these Ondel-ondel on the streets of Jakarta!
A tad creepy, but they always catch your attention and usually made me smile.
First leg was Jakarta to Narita, Japan. All good! We had quite a long layover in Narita- but didn't care knowing we'd find a lounge most likely. Or some good sushi! But...nope. There are 2 terminals at Narita and we were stuck in the one terminal where everything was closed. Everything. It was pretty creepy. And we were hungry! One tiny shop opened and offered some microwave noodle soup. It was crappy. We tried to take the airport transfer bus to the other terminal and NOPE. Not allowed. Brian was fuming hot! It made no sense. And we were hungry! Thank goodness I packed snacks. Ha!
But- we did have a big huge open space all to ourselves-
For 10 hours!
And I found a baby on our next flight to Dallas-
And in Dallas, we found CHIC-FIL-A!!!!!
One more flight to go- Dallas to Knoxville. We landed about midnight- and my suitcase did not arrive with us- but we did not care. We made it! We are home. Let the fun begin....














No comments:
Post a Comment