Wednesday, May 8, 2013

San Francisco getaway- 4/20-21

My sister's birthday is in March. Back in February I asked her to go away for an overnight to San Francisco together for her birthday. Because of schedules, we couldn't make it happen until April though! Ambra and I haven't been away together- no husbands, no kids- since 2004 when I lived in NC and flew to New Orleans while she was there on business. That was a very fun trip, so I thought sneaking away for a long overdue night together in SF would be too!

She took the train from Fresno to Martinez (about 30 minutes from my house), I picked her up at 10am and we headed into the city, about an hour drive. The weather was AMAZING! Amazing for anywhere in April, but especially for San Francisco.

We had a great Indian lunch, then headed to the beach...


We chose China beach on accident- but boy were we glad we did! The views and history were a great find. China Beach is in a tiny cove tucked between Lands End and Baker Beach in the Sea Cliff neighborhood of San Francisco. This sheltered pocket of sand features a picnic area, sunbathing, good play spots for children, and spectacular views of the Marin Headlands and Golden Gate.

Legend has it that local residents named China Beach for the Chinese fishermen who, long ago, anchored their junks in the cove and camped on the beach. You can see a monument to these early residents at the trailhead near the parking area at the end of Sea Cliff Avenue.

The view of the bridge was just awesome-




the homes in this neighborhood were stunning-



So what did we decide to do? Take a nap on the beach! Hey, we are two tired, hardworking moms! Who needs a hotel when you have this view from your beach bed? 


Truth be told, I couldn't nap!!! So we headed to the hotel...

Ambra- who works 60 hours a week and has 5 teenagers and a new puppy- needed more beauty sleep...
So I was happy to read my book, sit outside at the bar and have a drink-


Then, I woke up sleeping beauty and we headed out for the night!

First stop, manicures and pedicures.

Then dinner. We couldn't be in SF and not walk to Fisherman's Wharf for some crab, right?

This was the view from our table at dinner-




After dinner we stopped at a bar for a drink. We had NO plans for the night. There was a piano player at this bar, who was kinda fun. That gave me an idea- going to a dueling piano bar! Ambra had never been to one (I have only been in Vegas) and I thought it might be a fun way to spend the night. So thanks to Yelp, I found Johnny Foley's in Union Square and ALL reviews said it was fantastic! They said the show started at 9, so to get there early. So we quickly grabbed a cab and got there at 9:15. There were about 20 people in line already when we showed up! We waited for a long, boring 45 minutes, with the young, college aged kids and then gave up.

Again thanks to Yelp, I found another piano bar (sadly not dueling) just a block away and we headed there. Lefty O'Douls did not disappoint. Honestly, I think Ambra and I can find fun almost anywhere...

After one more stop- this time a dance club (you all know I DON'T dance, right?)- and a quick stop for some late night snacks- we called it a night!!!

Sunday we had plans to meet up with a friend from high school, Jay Melanson, and go to the Cherry Blossom festival and parade in Japantown.


Jay has lived in the city since college- so he was more than happy to be our guide- or sherpa- for the day! Thank goodness- because after our night out, I didn't feel much like driving!

Ambra and Jay-



I can not believe I didn't take any pictures at the parade or festival! It was very unique and impressive. And the food was delicious!

I brought Ambra back to the train station at 6pm and headed home...

Our days of living in the same state our numbered sister- so glad we took advantage of getting away together!

No comments:

Post a Comment