Thursday, June 6, 2013

Monterey 5/25-26

Last year we went to Monterey to celebrate Macy's birthday and had such a great time that we want to make it a tradition! 

First stop was of course LouLou's for lunch (after an hour wait!) on the commercial fisherman's pier, then we headed to the aquarium- 



The kids absolutely loved every minute at the aquarium. They could have stayed from the minute it opened until the minute it closed.

Ambra, Kayla and Kyra decided to join us in Monterey too! So after the aquarium we headed to our favorite wine bar on Cannery Row, A Taste of Monterey and met up with Ambra. They have recently renovated and it looks awesome in there. Thankfully, they still have the kids corner so we all enjoyed it!

Next up- Dennis the Menace Park! How did I not take any pictures there? Oh well, look at last years blog about our trip to Monterey- they'd be the same, kids are just a couple inches taller! ( I am starting to realize how much I miss out on behind the camera! Sometimes I just want to see it and absorb it, not be taking it in through a camera or video... I feel like I miss out on the actual experience and it's authenticity at that moment.) 

Saturday night Kayla and Kyra babysat (we had 3 hotel rooms at the Navy Lodge!) And we went out to our all time favorite dinner place- The Monterey Fish House. Most nights you can not get a table without a reservation and last year I forgot to make one, so we were out of luck. Not this year- I made the reservation 4 weeks in advance! And we feasted! Here is a picture of Brian, waving his napkin like a white flag!
*the last time we went to the Fish House was before we moved to Germany in 2008. I was pregnant with Macy and Tate was 2 1/2. It's not a super kid friendly restaurant, but Tate had been a few times before our last visit there and had done well. But during that last visit, he wasn't acting his best, so Brian swiftly grabbed up from his high chair to take him outside for a talk. Before they got to the door Tate started yelling "Don't mess with me! Don't mess with me!" I was mortified, until I realized that the other tables around us were laughing!

Sunday morning Macy got an early birthday present from Ambra-


Luckily our hotel had a playground because she wanted to ride her new Razor scooter immediately! We were all shocked that she could do it right away too-
First stop on Sunday was to the Coastguard pier to see the star fish, sea lions and seals. Sadly, no jelly fish this year.




Then we headed over to Fisherman's Wharf and the Calamari and Chowder festival.  You all know we love a good festival! 

















Next up- the beach! We chose beautiful Asilomar Beach- 
Brian remembered to bring the kite that Tate got for his birthday! And I don't know who was more excited, Brian or Tate-


See it up there?


This is one multitasking dad- holding Tate's kite while blowing up Macy's ball!
You might wonder what I was doing? I was in charge of wine- and trying to stay sand free!

The sand monsters-




Before we even left the city limits Sunday night, Macy was OUT! I'd say it was a successful pre-birthday celebration!
I almost never let the kids buy souvenirs on trips. When we first got to Monterey, one of the fisherman gave them each an abalone shell. Abalone is a sea snail that everyone seems to love to eat in California! Tate was thrilled and said "Our first souvenir of this trip!" I was equally as thrilled that he was satisfied with free shell! 

But when we went window shopping at the aquarium gift shop and I saw their little eyes light up, I got weak. In my moment of weakness, I told them to each choose something and they each wanted an octopus. They were in love instantly with these little guys-
I am happy to report that it was definitely money well spent. They named them Octy and Olive. Tate is usually walking around the house with his on his head, it fits perfectly as a hat! 
On our way home we decided that next year we need 3 days and 2 nights in Monterey. 1 night just isn't enough! We need a full day at the beach (yes, I said it), a much longer time at Dennis the Menace park and a trip to the MY Museum too. I'll be counting down the days until we can return. Monterey is definitely our happy place.

No comments:

Post a Comment