Monday, December 16, 2013

Happy birthday to me

Honestly, my birthday celebration was about 5 days this year! When Brian walked in the door last Tuesday night, it began. And boy was Monday, my actual birthday, amazing.

It started out with Macy insisting on breakfast in bed, well actually just coffee- but no complaints here!

Brian got the kids ready for school, fed them breakfast, packed their lunches and walked Tate to the bus stop. That stuff alone was an amazing gift- but he also had a few presents for me to open too. Two new dresses, thank you!

We dropped Macy off at school, and then headed to Napa- of course!

Before we got to our first winery, we stopped off at the Boon Fly Cafe, a place that we have driven by before, but never had the time to stop.



I ordered the donuts that they are famous for-


And Brian could not resist the "Bacon Bloody Mary Christmas," of course- 
Just look at that bacon!!!

Then we were off, to the Artesa Winery. We had been here before, but our visit was very brief, so I was anxious to get back again.


How crazy that our wine pourer was a 20-something named Macy! I should have taken a picture of her... Brian and I were shocked!

The property at the Artesa Winery is amazing! And so are the views. I was thrilled to be there, celebrating- can you tell?

 Next up- lunch at Mustards. We have been wanting to go to this restaurant the entire time we have lived here, so I was ecstatic to be having lunch there on my birthday.

They have large gardens next to the restaurant where everything is grown-


Great food, but not too fancy. They just put the big hunk of bread right on the tablecloth, who needs a plate?

Brian had the lamb burger and I ordered the rabbit, we switched half way through, and loved everything! Brian once served his college-age niece, Rebecca, rabbit when we lived in Arkansas and she came to dinner. She is practically a vegetarian and was mortified when he told her it was rabbit that she had been eating. So we took this picture for her-

Next up- Ladera Winery. We joined this winery last fall and decided to take the 2 hour tour on this visit- 



There were only 3 of us on the tour and our tasting was in the caves- it was very, very cool. Sorry, no pictures. 

I loved that Brian seat belted the case of wine into the back seat for the ride home!

Lastly, we stopped off at the Oxbow Market so Brian could shop for some dinner ingredients. We got home to some happy kids- and I was again spoiled with the night off!

Such an incredible day. It could not have happened without 2 friends stepping into get my kids to where they needed to be after school that day. One last memory- Tuesday morning and how hard it was to wake up and get back to reality! Sigh.



No comments:

Post a Comment