Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Close calls

I'm not a huge fan of IKEA, but my bestie Sara is. And I'm a huge fan of her, so when she asked me to go get some things for her I reluctantly agreed to do so. Well, wouldn't you just know that while in the IKEA parking lot, I'd step on a screw?


We had a very mild winter, and on this day in the first week of February, I just happened to be wearing skimpy soled TOMS, with no socks on. And lucky for me, that screw didn't even pierce my skin!

Then after I got home and parked in the driveway, the wind took down our basketball hoop, AS I headed to the rear of my car to retrieve groceries-

Again, lucky for me though, I wasn't injured!

My grandmother always told us that things happened in 3's- good things and bad things, deaths and births. So I guess I was on 2...

And as it would turn out, my third close call would come quickly. Today was Monday. I was supposed to go to Massachusetts on Thursday- a 10 hour drive- to be there for my mom's funeral on Saturday. My mom loved a good snow storm, so it was only fitting that there was a doozy of a storm being predicted for the weekend of her funeral! But that meant I would have to be mindful of my travel plans.

As I fell asleep on Monday night, the forecast for Thursday up and down the mid-atlantic and into New England looked terrible. I knew I had to get up there earlier than expected. I decided that I would pack up and get the dogs to the kennel on Tuesday, and the kids and I would just leave on Wednesday. I would stop in Connecticut with the Leadbetter's Wednesday night, and weather the storm there, hopefully making it to Massachusetts after the storm passed on Thursday night. Friday was a very full day of to-do list items to knock out with my sister in order for all the arrangements to be made for the funeral on Saturday. I had to get there...

No comments:

Post a Comment