Monday, July 10, 2017

4th of July fun & camp

Saturday July 1 is when our local fireworks were this year, which worked out great since Tate was headed to camp the following morning and would be away this year for the 4th of July.

My dad always took us to the fireworks. He would let us each choose a friend to bring along, and we would always go out for ice cream too. So this year I decided to do the same. We were meeting up with a few other families, but I let the kids each pick a friend (Macy's friends are twins, so she chose them both!) and I went to grab them and then we headed out for some amazing homemade ice cream before the fireworks...

Cameron, Tate, Macy, Jacob & Samantha-

YUM!

The boys chose shakes instead of ice cream-

We get to the fireworks each year with about 3 hours to play and hang out before the show. I love to see when all families make it a screen free day what can happen with a bunch of boys-




Love this one of Macy and Cameron-

Sunday morning Tate was off to camp at the crack of dawn! While this is his 3rd year of week long, sleep away camp- this is his first year at a Boy Scout camp. The last two years he was in Cub Scouts, and things were a bit sweeter for those little guys. Now he's big time. 

Thank goodness that Brian packed up his gear before he deployed- and printed out a picture of how it should all go back into his pack upon leaving camp too!

All I had to do was pack up the "other" stuff- like underwear that he wouldn't wear, or toothbrush that he wouldn't use...

Here he goes!





Oh Tate. He is so so brave and courageous. Almost every other kid in his troop either goes with their dad, or an older brother who is also in the troop. Not Tate. While he would rather stay home and play nerf gun wars with his neighborhood friends, he doesn't complain about going. He will work on earning 5 badges while there- swimming, reptiles & amphibians, astrology, archaeology and land navigation. Good luck kid!

And then it was just me and Macy. For a week!

I dont think I had my first manicure until I was in college. It blows me away how many times Macy's friends have already been to the salon to have their nails (and toenails even) done... I decided this year that as an annual treat, when Tate goes away to summer camp, she and I will have our nails done. She was over the moon thrilled!





I even paid the extra for the nail art design!

Later that day we went to Wendy's. She'd never been to Wendy's and had heard a commercial that Frosty's were just $1 and she wanted to try one. She wasn't impressed. But she did love these fun face cut outs of the National's-


Another customer saw me snapping pictures of Macy and asked if I'd like one of the both of us. Of course!

Happy 4th of July! Our Snapchat of the day-

Macy wanted to hit the pool, so we did and were practically the first ones there-

For lunch we stopped off at a a beautiful local nursery that does a free 4th of July BBQ! 


And that night I decided I would try a little bbqing myself! There is absolutely no reason for me to bother with the grill when Brian is home, but with him away for a year- I knew I'd miss the taste- and smells- from the grill, so he gave me a little lesson before he left. I decided to start small and grilled up some kielbasa...

That night Macy and I hunkered down at home with the dogs who are frightened by the fireworks, and watched all  the celebrations on tv-

And on Saturday July 8, guess who we got back? TATE!

I absolutely love getting him back. That first hug, albeit a very stinky and sweaty one, is always the tightest and longest hug we've had for a long time... He had a blast. Completed 4 of 5 of his badges (who knew there was a pre-requisite to own/care for a reptile or amphibian requirement? sigh) and sure enough- as I'd suspected he didn't bother with clean underwear or a toothbrush all week long.



No comments:

Post a Comment