Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Summer fun

Just another summer afternoon for us- kids, lets grab friends and head to the water park!



While I sit pool side and read my book, they entertain each other somewhere out there-

Another day we did something out of the ordinary. Something very unique to DC. We went to visit the Caisson (wagon) Stable at Ft. Myer. This is where the horses that pull the wagon (Caisson) with the flag draped casket for each funeral at Arlington National Cemetery are housed.  http://www.oldguard.mdw.army.mil/specialty-platoons/caisson

You can go there daily for a tour. The stable workers are actual Army Soldiers, and their official uniform allows them to wear jeans!


As we were there, a team was coming back from a funeral and we got to watch them pass by and unhitch all the horses-




The Stables, with the Caisson parked in front-

 Fake casket!

Afterwards we met up with Eve and her kids to go to the Army Twilight Tattoo that Ft Myer hosts once a week during the summer. People come from around the world to witness this hour long, live action military pageant. It was spectacular! I felt like we were watching a broadway show, outdoors, on the perfect summer evening...



 One of the horses we had visited just hours earlier-




After the show, you could visit with all the soldiers, who portrayed soldiers of all the previous wars.
Daddy's war-



Grandpa's war-


























It was a fantastic night and I hated that Brian missed it... 

On our way out, I decided to take a spin through the Iwo Jima Marine Memorial- it was spectacular at sunset-


And then as we drove away, look what lay ahead of us-

Oh DC, I dont take you for granted. You constantly take my breath away and I love discovering new parts of you.... 



No comments:

Post a Comment