Say it's not so! Every year I want just a week or two more of summer... But just like that it happens- school starts. Brian left on Saturday and school started Monday morning!
While he's never thrilled about school, I think Tate is starting off this year curious about what middle school is going to be like. He is in a specialized program within our county that separates the genders for their 4 core academic classes, but all other classes are co-ed. Much to our surprise, he chose to apply to this program last spring. After reading the book "Why Gender Matters" and seeing that this program was featured on CNN because of the national acclaim it has been awarded, I was all for it. How Gender Affects Learning at Woodbridge MS
Our traditional first day of school breakfast-
The issue with applying for a school that you are not zoned for is that transportation is not provided for you... The school is on the other side of town, about an 18 minute drive. Not a huge drive, but I knew it would get old. Tate's buddy Alex who also got accepted into the Same Gender Program is actually zoned for this middle school, so I decided I would drive Tate to Alex's bus stop daily and they could ride the bus together.
After dropping Tate off, it was back home to get Macy ready! Normally the kids just walk out the door together to catch the bus- and I watch from the window. This driving stuff is going to take some getting used to for sure...
Macy chose to wear that shirt in honor of our friend's son, Cory Collister, who is 12 and was diagnosed with cancer this summer. He would not be returning to school this fall, so Macy wore it in his honor. She has such a good heart.
This year is going to be a challenge for all 3 of us... Lots of changes with my work, the start of a new middle school, Tate's lack of transportation and Brian being deployed. We got this. I think.


No comments:
Post a Comment