Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Diaper Drive

Our government shut down last month. Many of our neighbors and the families who our kids go to school with weren't getting a pay check. We live 25 miles from the nation's capitol- we feel this stuff, we are very much aware of the pulse of the country here in Northern Virginia. And it was sad, frustration and all those other emotions that we who live comfortably in our warm houses, with safe vehicles and well cushioned bank accounts don't want to feel.

One day it hit me- I can help! I'm an ambassador for the DC Diaper Bank. So I put out this on FB- 

Local friends- help needed! For several years I have been an “ambassador” (regional drop off location) for the DC Diaper Bank- think food bank, but for diapers. Our furloughed federal workers need your help to diaper their children! Diapers are a basic need - and a very expensive one. We’ve got many parents in our area working for no pay that have kids who need diapers... can you donate some? I will be making a delivery on Monday- please drop them off on my doorstep at your convenience this weekend. And follow the Greater DC Diaper Bank on FB- they are in overdrive right now, doing some amazing work.

AND MY PEOPLE RESPONDED! Here is my next FB post- 

People helping people. No excuses. My friends (and sister) are absolutely amazing! 4 days ago I threw out the idea of an impromptu diaper drive to help our local furloughed federal workers- and you all came through. 
Big time. I just delivered 2,082 diapers, and two cases of baby wipes! And I know several of you made monetary donations directly to the DC Diaper Bank too. On behalf of all the parents you have helped make it through until payday- THANK YOU

I loved coming home to a doorstep full of diapers- 

Over the weekend, my foyer piled up-

So much so that on delivery day, I could barely fit them all in my SUV-

The Monday we drove to the diaper bank was a teacher work day- so you better bet that I made my two students do some work, loading and unloading diapers!

Because I really do believe service to others is good for the soul...

No comments:

Post a Comment