Back in Sept, I received this message out of the blue one day...
ARE YOU SERIOUS????? Of course I remembered Angelina! When I lived in Fresno after college, I was a Big Sister to her, and I too wondered what became of her over the years... But we'd lost touch and I couldn't remember her last name to find her. Thankfully I have a very memorable name...
Ricotta Rolls are a Christmas tradition in my family. My mom made them every year- and now I do too. The recipe was given to her from a co-worker, Gail Wood, when I was a kid. Apparently my mom loved them so much, that upon her leaving the company, Gail gave my mom the recipe and told her that per her Italian father, it had to be kept a secret. If you like my moms Ricotta Rolls and asked for the recipe, she would make a roll for you, wrap it in saran wrap, put a bow on it and explain that it was a gift, since she couldn't give out the recipe, she gave out a roll instead. And they are time consuming and costly to make! But- the recipe was a secret, and she was sworn to that secrecy. Until she died, my mom had only given it to 2 people- me and my cousin Tarah, who loved them as much as my mom. For my wedding, she hand wrote out the recipe for me, and at the bottom added that the recipe was from "Gail Wood at Donahue's Insurance Agency" I remember meeting Gail a few times as a kid, she had children our age so we sometimes would sometimes have sleepovers.
Last month when I was making Ricotta Rolls, I got an urge to find Gail Wood and tell her how much her dad's recipe had become a bit part of our family Christmas tradition, and how a week before my mom died, she was still loving that Italian pastry! I mentioned it to Brian as I was in the kitchen making the dough, and before I could get them in the oven- he found her! I knew what county she last live in, about how old she wad, and about how old her two children- one boy and one girl- were... but that was all. And we were pretty certain he found HER!
So, I wrote her a letter-
And hoped we'd found the right Gail Wood in Massachusetts.
And a week later, I was full of joy when I opened my email and found this-
From: GWood@polarbev.com <GWood@polarbev.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 8:56 AM
To: farrahmccullough@hotmail.com
Subject:
Good Morning Farrah I am so glad that you contacted me, and yes you have the right Gail Wood. I saw your Mom's obit in the paper in 2017 was very sad to hear of her passing. she was a great lady and I enjoyed working with her at Donohue Ins. When I got your card it brought me to tears. my daughter Patti lives with me now (Hope you remember her and going to the Little theatre in Worcester, when you and your sister were young) She knew and remember you and your sister and going to a sleepover at your house in Clinton. Patti moved in with me to help take care of her dad who we lost May 11, 2017 I honestly don't remember telling your Mom to keep the recipe a secret, but it makes for a wonderful family tradition. I would like to stay in touch and will be sending you a Christmas card every year. so nice to have these memories. Please keep in touch and say hello to your sister. I don't have a facebook but Patti does and she asked yesterday when we got the card for you to be-friend her on facebook.
Once again Farrah thank you so much for contacting me. You made my day very special. I Hope your Mom did not suffer. My husband had been sick for at least 5 years with Diabetes, lost his toes and it was a long battle.
Gail Wood
291 Partridge Hill Road
Charlton, Ma 01507
PS I now am still working at 71 years of age for Polar Beverages in Worcester.
email is gwood@polarbev.com
5087492201


No comments:
Post a Comment