Batik is an Indonesian technique of wax-resist dyeing applied to whole cloth. This technique originated from the island of Java, Indonesia. Batik is made either by drawing dots and lines of the resist with a spouted tool called a canting, or by printing the resist with a copper stamp called a cap.
I have been invited several times over the last year to join in for a batik class, and I have never really had a desire. I do have a huge appreciation for the art, but not being artistic- or very patient- myself, I figured this probably wasn't for me. And sure enough, a few weeks ago I confirmed that when I joined in a 3 hour class...
The whole process was so interesting- a very nice studio, but not a sign- so it was "park at the statue store, walk though the garden shop and into the cafe, then go upstairs..." Never once did I see a sign! I think the studio shares an office with a piano teacher, I think.
Once inside there are 3 staff members who assist you. And THEY are true artists. This gentleman hand draws all the amazing designs. So intricate and creative.

I chose something I hoped would be fast and easy-
The small room-
With tiny chairs! I am a big girl, I need a big girl chair...
We were split into two groups of 5, and each group had its own bucket of hot wax-
And we used these tools to apply to wax to the cloth-
You had to move fast, but not to fast. You needed to go slow, but not too slow. Catch my drift? I never did get a good handle on the technique and focused more on the uncomfortable chair, smell of wax and propane which was used to keep the wax hot, and even though I was next to the window, I was still left craving fresh air. The rooster outside was nice though!
My finished design-
I chose to be done. The idea of batik is to use many colors, which requires many wax applications and dying processes. I knew I wasn't coming back, so indigo blue it is!
The artist handled the process of melting the wax and dying the fabric for us-
Here comes the blue-
The very technical way to dry the fabric using two plastic kids chairs and an old rod- not seen in the picture is a box fan blowing on the fabric-
This was my view out the window, overlooking the cafe and garden shop below. Each time the rooster crowed, I wanted to be out there so much more than where I was!
DONE!
Truth be told, it was a lovely experience. I was there with women from Brazil, Malaysia and New Zealand. Many women come and spend 6 hours a week here working on their piece of art, but also for community. The batik process is rich in culture, history and tradition and for centuries women have come together to share wax and technique tips just like we experienced during this class.
Each region of Indonesia has their own pattern, and it is so interesting to see the batik clothing that is worn each and every Friday across the country. Whether in the office or going to the grocery store, you wear your batik on Friday. Even at the Embassy they have adopted this local tradition.
And after just 3 hours, I now understand why it is so darn expensive!
No comments:
Post a Comment