many family and friends (military and non-military) have asked what in the world brian is going to be doing for work at travis air force base once we get to california. previously, he has always been a navigator (think of the character "goose" from the movie "top gun") on a C-130 ("small" cargo plane)- but his last two assignments were with the navy (monterey, california) and the army (stuttgart, germany)! so to confuse matters even more- he is going into an AMOS out at travis- what the heck is that, right?
AMOS stands for "air mobility operation squadron" and there are only two of these specialized squadrons in the united states. brian's future commander had a blurb in this month's squadron newsletter about how to explain what exactly an AMOS is and does. i thought i'd share it here:
"What I want to share this month is a simple question...Do you know what we do in the AMOS?
Seems like a simple question to answer, but I know from experience it can be very difficult to explain. In fact, I feel like I have to give my Mom a refresher at least once every couple months.That being said, I think it is something we all should at least attempt to understand. When I give briefings or am just talking to other servicemen about our mission, I provide this simple explanation: “The AMOS provides Air Mobility expertise to the Joint force command and control structure.”
Okay, maybe it doesn’t sound so simple...but it does capture what we do.
Anytime the US military responds to crisis (war or humanitarian), we set up command staffs made up of all the services (or “Joint”) to oversee the effort. Our job is to ensure that those commanders have experts that
understand airlift (cargo), air refueling, and aeromedical evacuation at their disposal. In addition, we provide a capability to shelter and set up communications networks (computer, radio and telephone) for those staffs."
now, on a silly note... here is a great picture of macy after story time at the library yesterday!
speaking of libraries and books...
i loved reading "the help" last year and i cant wait to see the movie soon! a friend (thx lauren!) suggested an author who writes about similar subject matter- dorothea benton frank. i've read 3 of her books in the last month and cant wait to read more!
two "self help-ish" books on my nightst and right now are What's Eating Your Child?: The Hidden Connection Between Food and Your Child's Well-Being by Kelly Dorfman and The Husband Project: 21 Days of Loving Your Man--on Purpose and with a Plan by Kathi Lipp go check 'em out ladies!
No comments:
Post a Comment