Thursday, October 2, 2014

Debbie and Family Reunion, August 6-10


Every summer, Brian's father and his 3 brothers have a reunion at Smith Mountain Lake, in Virginia. All the kids, grandkids and now great-grandkids all try to make it each August. We went in 2005 when we lived in Arkansas (where I announced my pregnacy with Tate! actually, I didn't get to announce it because I when I turned down the offer of a beer, Brian's mom looked at her sister-in-law Aunt Sue and said "she must be pregnant!" So the surprise was a bit ruined... She knows me so well.)  and we went again in 2007 while still living in Arkansas before moving to Monterey. 

We knew we'd have to go this year since the reunion is IN Virginia and we now live IN Virginia! It was very convenient that my mom was still with us too, so she could dog/house sit for us. (I looked into a kennel and it would be $30 per do, per day! OUCH.)

My mom's longtime best friend (since their pre-kids days) Debbie, lives in North Carolina. She and my mom planned to see each other in August while they were both in Massachusetts visiting family. But then they came up with a plan for Debbie to come to Virginia to stay the weekend while we were at the family reunion and my mom was house sitting!

She took the Amtrak from Charlotte, into beautiful Union Station in DC. I was a bit nervous making this trek to go pick her up, since I'd never been... But we found it just fine and were in awe of this breathtaking historical landmark- 

Built in 1907, the inside was fabulous- 

Debbie's train was late, so we found some kid fun- 




Those were their "mean President faces!"

And here are the two long time BFF's-
Can you imagine these two in the early 70's together? They were Harley riding hippies! And now 40 years later, after children, divorces, the death of Debbie's husband (Ambra's God-father, David), additions, cross-country moves, loss of parents, cancer and MS- they still have each other. Brian and I find it especially entertaining to listen to their stories of "the old days," but we have to make sure the kids aren't around to hear!!

And on Friday Aug 8, we left for Smith Mountain Lake, which is outside of Roanoke. It was about a 4 hour drive. It is the perfect place for a reunion, because Brian's uncle lives on the lake- so there is lots to do- from swimming to jet skis, its always a ton of fun and action. But not this year... IT RAINED! It is the first time ever that there has been a rainy weekend for the reunion.

And can you believe neither Brian nor I took one single photo? WHAT? Shame on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment