Oh Easter... every year, you just kind of sneak up on me. Every year, I just don't feel like doing bunny stuff. Sigh.
But, I must remember that I've still got a sweet 6 year old who craves all the fun bunny stuff. So I managed to make these little spring creations with her-
She loved it and yumm-o!
Thankfully about a week before Easter I went out and got stuff to fill the baskets, and I was so proud of myself for not buying Dollar Store junk, or over doing it. Happy to report that all their treasures fit in their baskets this year, nothing overflowing. Score 1 for Mommy.
Sara and I talked about fun Easter-y things to do with the kids on the Monday before Easter. I mentioned the Resurrection Rolls we did last year, and threw out how I dreaded dying eggs every year. Just like when I was a kid, it was a last minute effort at 8pm on Saturday night when everyone was too tired and too grumpy. It just wasn't a ton of fun. So every year I vow to do it early in the day on Saturday, and every year I seem to fail.
Sunday morning we got up at 5am and drove into DC for the sunrise service at the Lincoln Memorial. I had heard about this last year, but we weren't able to go. Brian originally thought I was a little nutty, but eventually got on board.
Brian absolutely loved "doing church" laying out on the lawn of the Lincoln Memorial, as the sun came up and we listened to the sermon and praise and worship team-
The kids were awesome, and warm-
They have been doing this service for 38 years, worshiping on government land, even during the civil rights movement when the praise team was comprised of all African Americans.
It was a very special morning and service, albeit cloudy. From there we came home, got dressed and headed to our own church. Brian and I were both serving, and the kids didn't want to miss THE Easter Service, as it's a huge celebration that they remembered loving last year.
After service we came home, all cuddled up on the couch with some snacks, and watched Sunday Morning. It was lovely. This is the first time ever that I can remember where we were not visiting family or hosting family/friends. Different for sure, but such a sweet time to just be our little family of 4.
Sometime on Saturday, I boiled some eggs and sent this picture to Sara-
Yet, Saturday night they did not get dyed. Oh well.
Saturday night as we put the Easter baskets out, we debated hiding some eggs. For about a minute. Nope, not going to happen.
Interestingly enough, Macy mentioned it casually sometime on Sunday, looking outside she said "i don't think the bunny hid eggs." And then she carried on like it was no big deal. I followed up, telling her that because we were going to the White House easter egg hunt tomorrow, he probably used our eggs for another family, since we were getting that special opportunity. She seemed satisfied.
Sunday afternoon Macy and I took a nap and then the guilt set in. The damn eggs. Must.dye.eggs. I'd already resigned myself to accepting the fact that they'd be tasty as deviled eggs, and we could just save the egg dying kit of next year. Then I thought of sweet 6 year old Macy, and how she loves this stuff.
Okay, time to dye eggs!
Who dyes eggs ON Easter Day? We do! And it was just perfect. I need to remember that my kids are older now, everything is not so laborious, messy, complicated. I set out the stuff and Macy pretty much dyed them herself. Score 2 for Mommy.
More guilt... When we were at the White House, we ran out of time to do the egg hunt. Macy was crushed. So I decided that I would hide some eggs around the house during the week for her to find. 10 eggs, 4 quarters in each egg. Have at it kid!
Wednesday I hid them. She came home from school and instantly found 2. I acted shocked, explaining how neither she or Tate actually looked for eggs on Easter morning, but all along they have been here! She was delighted. It's been 11 days and just yesterday she found another one-
Score 3 for Mommy.Next year I will do better....Nah, probably not.

No comments:
Post a Comment