The second week of summer, Tate (and Brian) headed off to Cub Scout camp, 3 hours away and Macy went to Girl Scout day camp from 8:30-4 each day with 4 girls from her new Brownie troop.
Here are some highlights of their adventures:
Macy and friends, thrilled for their first day. Macy has never done a camp like this, so she was just giddy with excitement on Monday morning-
While they did arts and crafts, sang songs and danced, the girls also did some really cool activities. Paddle boating, creeking, geo caching, fishing, archery and badminton were just a few.
Macy came home with scratch marks on her thigh this day, from the fish! It apparently fell onto her leg when they released it to throw back into the water!
Only a few pictures of Macy's week, as I wasn't there to document it... She had a fantastic time and will be ready to do it again next summer for sure.
Meanwhile, Brian took tons of pictures of Tate's week!
Bonfire and skits on Sunday/the first night at camp...
Tate loved the nature center last year, and this year didn't disappoint either. He was thrilled with a ll the small animals they were able to hold... Eeeeewwwwwww
Learning how to make their own fires-
Some fun and games-
Tate was the dodge ball champion btw!
A little break for ice cream with dad-
Their fine accommodations-
Tate got paired up with Aidan, a scout a year younger than he is. Brian said he was a greta kid and they became fast friends all week. Thankfully, Aiden's dad was also a good dude, because that is who Brian shared his tent with!
Lots of time to find toads-
And salamanders-
Unfortunately, no turtles were found for the end of the week turtle race. So sad.
BB guns-
And archery-
Knife skills,whittling wood-
sifting for rocks, minerals, precious stones-
Tate's prize possession from camp this year was definitely his "bag of rocks." And also his new nickname!
Tate was the oldest kid from his pack at camp this year, so Brian said he was able to take on a leadership role and did very well with it all week
They learned how to build knots, and then did this ropes course-
survival training, where they learned how to make a shelter-
Brian came home a night earlier than Tate did, and he was just beaming with pride after seeing Tate in action all week. Brian was completely impressed with the camp and the staff and enjoyed every hour he was there. Tate got home about 9pm on Friday night, and I must say he was WAY cleaner and fresher smelling than he was when he came home last year! It helps to have your dad around reminding you to shower and change your clothes I suppose....
Seeing Tate walk in on Friday night, I realized just how much I missed him. I didn't worry about him much at all this year, knowing Brian was with him all but 2 days. But seeing him made me realize how much of a presence he is in our home, in our family, in my life. I like having him around.
On Wednesday night my phone rang at 10pm. It was Brian. Cell service is sketchy up at camp, deep in the woods, so we hadn't talked all week. Brian would text some and send me a few pictures, but I was surprised he was calling. I answered, and it was TATE! He was teary and said he was homesick. I asked what he was homesick for and he said "You." Oh my goodness! Boy did this melt my heart... I quickly reminded him to enjoy the rest of camp because when he gets home its chores, math practice and his sister! Not just he and I sitting around playing video games...
No comments:
Post a Comment