When we woke up in our own beds on Saturday 12/10, after having been gone since 11/30, we knew it was time to get ready for Christmas! We didn't have much time for Christmasy stuff at home this year because we were flying to California on 12/22...
While in Germany we were discussing with Adrien about out Christmas tree. We bought it when we lived in California and had cathedral style ceilings, and now we don't. The last two years we have kept the top section off the tree, and while it looks a little funny, it works. Adrien suggested instead of taking the top off, take out a middle section and it might not be so noticeable....
Totally worked! Why didn't we think of this?
The night that we decorate the house/tree is usually the night that Ernie the Elf comes back each year. The kids we psyched to find that he came and left them a box of cookies from Mrs. Clause!
The girls in my neighborhood have an annual Christmas cookie exchange that I missed this year because we were coming home from Germany. They were so sweet to box me up a bunch of cookies even though I didn't get to make it this year...With only 12 days of the Christmas season in our own house this year, we had to squeeze in as many movie nights as we could cuddled up together-
I tried my best to stay true to this list this Christmas season-
Last year we dodged the Christmas present bullet by taking the kids to Disney instead of buying them presents. This year we scaled down by having the kids fill out this list-
Brian and I decided in October to stay true to buying them only 4 gifts- something the want, something they need, something to wear and something to read. We did it! I bought for Macy this year and Brian bought for Tate even. It was so nice to know what to buy exactly and know exactly when we were done.
Tate still believes in Santa... not sure how much longer he will. While I don't want him to be the only middler schooler who still believes, I also am not ready to burst that bubble yet either. So I was thrilled to find a way to have their Christmas letters sent back to them with a personal note from Santa, postmarked from North Pole, Alaska.
However, I think it was Macy that said "The North Pole is not in Alaska..."
Only had time to try one new cookie this year, but they were a keeper! Peppermint flavored meringues, dipped in white chocolate and crushed candy canes. Yum
Brian had a little fun with Ernie each morning-
What will I do without all his help next year to be able to keep the magic alive?
I was in charge of baking all the Christmas treats to bring to California. Of course, I had to make my moms Ricotta Rolls, a family favorite that only are made for Christmas. This year I was delighted to have Macy as my assistant-
The 3rd generation ricotta roll maker!
I loved getting this next picture of my mom on day. My best friend from kindergarten, is Allyson. Her mom, Mrs Rockwell is a wedding cake designer/pastry chef/amazing baker. It is her gingerbread recipe that I use to make my pumpkin Halloween cookies and gingerbread men at Christmas. Well, she made these gorgeous reindeer gingerbread men, boxed them up with a "prescription" for 1 cookie per day, doctors orders, and sent them to my mom as a little Christmas surprise-
And this one too-
My mom was so so weak, but insistent on teaching Kayla and Kyra how to make her fudge. My grandmother used to make fudge, so it was one last lesson that my mother wanted to pass down to her own granddaughters.
My mom loved to bake, and so did her mom. That's where I get it from for sure!

No comments:
Post a Comment