I've known for years what I wanted to do for my 40th birthday- New York City. I went around my birthday for the very first time when I was in high school, and I couldn't get over how magnificent the city was all decorated for Christmas. Ever since then, I've wanted to go back during the holidays to see it again. And I knew I wanted to take the kids along with us for this trip. We took them to NYC for the first time in 2015 and they loved the city just as much as we did, so I knew they would want to go back. I also wanted them to have this memory with me. I don't remember ever celebrating any milestone birthdays with mu parents when I was young. I want them to be able to look back and remember me as fun vacation mom when I was 40 in NYC with them!
So off we go at 7am on Thursday 12/1 to NYC. We drove up to New Jersey, then took the Amtrak into the city to avoid the hassle of having to drive- and park- in the city. Plus we all love traveling by train.
We got into the city just after 12:30 and took an Uber to our hotel- The Ritz Carlton at Central Park. We went to brunch at the Ritz in Half Moon Bay for Brian's 40th, and it was then that he decided we'd save up points to stay at a Ritz for my 40th. I'm so loved... (Without points, our hotel room would have been $1,800 a night! YIKES!)
Well, when we got to the hotel, there wasn't a room ready yet, so we headed out for some delicious NYC pizza, and we found the perfect little hole in the wall place.
We headed back to the hotel and our room still wasn't ready. (Turns out we were waiting on an upgraded room, Okay, fine Im happy to wait.)
The Ritz has an amazing kids program, called "Ritz Kids" and if you say it quickly, it sounds a hell of a lot like "Rich kids." Go figure. When the kids checked in (at their separate check-in desk) they were each given a passport of things to do in the hotel and in the city. They were to introduce themselves to staff members- the bellman, doorman, front desk clerks, concierge, and get a stamp from each of them. I loved this idea, as it was teaching them etiquette and how to speak with adults- something my little introvert son desperately needs incentive to do. They were told that they would get a gift if they returned their passport full of stamps. (Turns out they would have gotten the gift without any stamps- but I knew it would be fun to do, and there's nothing wrong with having to actually put some work in and earn it)
While we waited for our room, we knocked out the first item in their passports- to meet the chef. While we couldn't tour the kitchen because they were too busy, he came out into the lobby with a plate of cookies, and chefs hats for both of the kids. He explained how the giant gingerbread house in the lobby was constructed too!
Finally- time to go to our room, and boy was it worth the wait!
It was beautiful, with windows that overlooked central park and all the horse and carriages. And it ws giant, especially for NYC standards.
I could have sat in this window all weekend and been completely satisfied to just watch the world below-
Our view-
Tate was in shock over the bathtub!
and Brian loved that he had a fancy "in residence" card-
Off we go for our first adventure- a carriage ride through central park. I got to choose the carriage, and went with a sweet Polish driver and his horse, Elvis-
There may or may not be Bailey's in our afternoon carriage ride coffees
After the carriage ride, the kids wanted to do some exploring and rock climbing in the park...
We'd never really been through much of Central Park before, so this time we took the time to take it all in and check out a lot of it. The skyline was just amazing-
I insisted that we all ride the carousel. Since 1851 there has been a carousel in Central Park. The original actually used real ponies to give children a ride, walking round and round in circles. The current one is owned by President Trump, who lovingly refurbished it.
I may be 40, but I was giddy like a little child while riding with my husband and kids this afternoon!
Next we checked out the Chess & Checkers house-
The Chess & Checkers House is one of five visitor centers run by Central Park Conservancy. Chess and checkers players are welcome to borrow pieces from the Conservancy staff, or bring their own. Dominos and backgammon are also available.
Soon after the Park was opened in the 1860s, it was criticized by local newspapers for its lack of facilities for children and their caregivers. The commissioners responded by creating a Children's District in the southern part of the park. The features included the Dairy, the playground (now Heckscher Playground and Ballfield), a children's cottage (since demolished), and the Kinderberg, or "children's mountain," where the Park's largest rustic shelter once stood. In 1952, private funds enabled construction of the Chess & Checkers House to replace the Kinderberg. In 1986, Central Park Conservancy restored the building and built the rustic pergola surrounding the house to provide shade for players.
Next up? Ice skating! I knew this was a must for my birthday trip. After a bit of research, we decided to skate at the rink in Central Park (also owned by Trump) instead of the one at Rockefeller Center, mostly because of the size of the rink. While both are so iconic and have amazing views of the city, the one in Central Park is larger.
I dont think that I had skated since I was about 22! I loved every second of it- and thankfully never fell
While we were skating, the sun set and I was mesmerized by how the buildings came alive with light as the night got darker right before our eyes
After skating, we walked through the park and I just couldn't help but to continue to be amazed by the views
When we got back to the room to get ready to go out to dinner- we found this little surprise-
While the face I'm making in this picture does not accurately describe my absolute happiness, rest assured that sitting in this spot, drinking champagne for happy hour made me very, very happy!
And Tate was loving the other window seat, and watching all the carriages right outside
Our gorgeous room- Macy loved playing office at the desk-
When we got back from dinner, the staff had brought in the rollaway bed we'd requested. Because state law allows for only one extra bed (in case of a fire?), they lovingly made up a feather bed for our second sleeper. The kids fought about who would get the feather bed actually!
We had a great view into the studio and being surrounded by all the giant screens in time square was mesmerizing. I could not have been happier.
Right in front of us was their outdoor taping area-
The passerby's would read our signs and holler out something fun. This guy was especially entertaining and friendly-
While I wanted my sign to say "I'd rather be 40 than pregnant," Brian thought it was a bit insensitive and made me this one-
As we were leaving, a gentleman read my sigh and shared that today was actually his 50th birthday!
We lasted until about 8:45. It was cold, early and crowded, but my family was so accommodating and awesome about making sure I wasnt rushed out of there a minute before I wanted to leave.
Breakfast time! We walked over to Ellen's Stardust Diner, home of the 1950's style diner with singing waitstaff. All of the employees are Broadway hopefuls, and in between delivering meals, they belt out show tunes.
Thankfully the line was relatively short, compared to what we were told is usually an incredibly long wait. The place did not disappoint us. While the food was typical diner food, the talented waitstaff captivated our attention the entire time. Our waiter sand a duet of Seasons of Love, from my favorite all time broadway show, Rent. This is the song I would have requested the perform for my birthday, so it made me feel super happy when I heard them begin singing this.
Another thing that made me super happy- answering my mom's call while sitting at our booth. It's my birthday, so I expected she would call, but what took my breath away was when she began singing me Happy Birthday, and did so without having to stop to catch her breath. I know how difficult that was for her that day, and I will always remember how special it made me feel, listening to her sign, while tears rolled down my cheeks. In the back of my mind, I knew that this would be the last birthday she would ever call to sing to me...
Cant go to Time's Square without a trip to the Lego store, right?
And then back to the Ritz to open some presents....
Brian requested that all my friends and family write letters to me about a special memory we had together, and again I just sat there speechless with tears rolling down my cheeks for the second time that morning as I read through them all-
At noon each day, the "Ritz Kids" can go with a bellman to feed the horses in central park-
The kids are each given white gloves
And the bellman carries this wooden box full of fresh vegetables for the horses-
Classy act indeed!
I begged for a little birthday nap that afternoon. And while I never fell asleep, it was just nice to have some downtime and recharge.
I honestly don't even remember the name of the restaurant where we ate for dinner on my birthday. The concierge suggested it, saying that it is a James Beard Award winning new hot NYC chef and we were lucky to get a table. It was fine. Not exactly the fun vibe I was hoping for, but I do remember having the best shrimp of my life there.
After dinner we went out to taking in all the Christmas sights, and it was amazing!
The tree at Rockefeller Center-
we stopped and watched the skaters on the (very tiny) rink-
Some of the stores had amazing light shows-
We were so happy to sit down and watch!
The store fronts at Macy's were so so great that after watching how mesmerized the kids were watching them, I had a last minute idea to go inside and try to see Santa. Off we go!
These next 3 pictures were actually the window fronts of Macy's-
When we got into the store, I asked someone about Santa. They explained that he was on floor number what-ever, and explained that there was usually an incredibly long line to see him. Knowing I didn't want to spend much of our last night waiting in line, I suggested we just go up to see what the line looked like, just in case. As it turns out, there was practically no line when we arrived! Just a few people ahead of us, I couldn't believe it.
We had seen Santa at Macy's in San Francisco a few years back, and it was wonderful, so I was giddy with excitement thinking about how much better this would be. And I was right! Before you get to Santa, you walk through a winter wonderland that felt just like being in some type of fantasy-
We were the last people in that night. Turns out there wasn't a line because they were just about to close up for the night. So to make sure no one snuck in, there were a couple elves that followed us in line. They were very fun and super sweet with the kids. As we went into see Santa, I was hit with a ton of emotions. I just couldn't believe how perfect my dad had been, and to finish it off with this incredible experience of visiting Santa was just too much. I had been so worried all season that Tate would discover there is no Santa and the magic would be lost for him this year. It was heartwarming to see how excited he was to talk with this fabulous Santa. And boy did I lose it when we all sat down for our picture and Santa said to me, "I understand today is your birthday." We were all amazed and a bit shocked. (Apparently the elves behind us overheard and told Santa.) Santa took so much time with us, asking such sincere and specific questions about what the kids wished for this year. And then he asked me what I wanted for Christmas this year. Loaded question Santa! Knowing we would be with my mom, and it would be her last Christmas here on Earth with us, I started crying and said "The perfect Christmas day." He assured me, without asking any details, that that would indeed happen.
Here's our picture- I'm a hot mess! And my hat, combined with the white fur of the reindeer behind me, looks a bit elfish!
We left Macy's on such a high. It was the most magical moment of our trip, for all of us. We passed by some non-Christmasy window fronts too-

The 4 story American Girl store was a bit overwhelming-
The Eloise store at The Plaza was so sweet-
Trump Tower was a freaking mess. 5th Ave is no longer drivable, just completely shut down. Even pedestrians were banished from using the sidewalk in front of the building. Brian was less than thrilled-
The line to take a picture was ridiculous, so we got what we could of the famous LOVE statue-
We practically fell into bed that night with pure exhaustion. Macy loved seeing how the staff had laid out her special sleeping stuff for her that night-
What a birthday. It was absolutely perfect. A dream come true. An amazing city, the magical spirit of Christmas in the air, and most importantly- my people. I wanted this to be a trip the kids would remember taking with us, and there wasn't a doubt in my mind that night that they too would never forget this epic day.
Saturday morning we went to see the Rockette's at Radio City Music Hall, something I've wanted to do since I was a child.
I honestly had no idea what to expect, except dancers doing a kick line. The show was SO much more than just that!
It truly was a theatrical performance, right up there with seeing a broadway show. Perhaps even better because of all the special effects. We would all love to see it a second time for sure!
I really appreciated that over the years they have kept the word Christmas in the name of the show- The Christmas Spectacular. They finished the show with the story of Jesus, reading passages from the bible even
We requested a late check out, explaining that we were going to see the Rockette's show. Wouldn't you know that upon our return, the concierge brought a copy of the soundtrack from the show up to our room to have as a souvenir! Gotta love the Ritz.
The famous Carnegie Deli was due to close just a few week after our visit, so we thought we would pop over there for our last lunch in the city. Not. Everyone else had the same idea and the line was blocks long-
So we went to the place next door. No line. Delicious pastrami sandwich, very similar I suspect to the one served to the people who will wait in line for hours next door!
Before we left, the kids turning in their scavenger hunt checklists and the bellman pulled out a little wagon full of toys for them to choose as a reward! Oh this place.
And they each got a metal for completion too!
And off we go. We came, we saw, we did. We were exhausted. Macy couldn't stand anymore while waiting for our train at Penn Station on Saturday afternoon.
When I was in middle school, I loved Muchos. To bring me back to my child-like wonder (and eating habits) Allyson sent along a bag for me to enjoy on my birthday. I shared them with the kids on the train ride home. Hate to admit it, but I still like them
Put a fork in us, we are done.
At least done with this part of the trip.... next stop Germany!
No comments:
Post a Comment