On Thursday May 18 I woke up alone- because Brian had driven to South Carolina on Sunday for a week of training- and began my day. Brian called to say good morning to the kids a bit earlier than expected and after their chat, Macy came into my room and handed me this envelope-
It was about 7:45am, but she told me that Brian said to open it now. Inside were these 3 envelopes-
So judging by what was written on the second one, I instantly knew I'd be flying somewhere, but suddenly my head was spinning! I opened the first envelope and this is what I found-
I was going to Raleigh, NC TODAY- but didn't know if that was where I would stop, who I would be with or when I would return.... And what about the kids??
Well, I came downstairs to find this-
Before Brian left on Sunday, he had told the kids the plan and packed everything needed for them- including camping gear for Tate's first ever weekend Boy Scout campout! The kids knew where he'd left the bags, and were told to grab the bags when they gave me the envelope. He even left them a picture to use-
Okay, bye kids! Off the go to school... They were excited and giddy- mostly because they had a fun weekend ahead. I felt so grateful to Brian for being the amazing husband who can surprise me with a trip- but also take care of every little detail about of our kids lives, and he didn't even forget about the dogs! I didn't even ask him, or the kids, what their plan was... They knew and I had absolute confidence in him that no ball would be dropped and they would be well cared for. Many women would freak out and have to double check and triple check their husbands plans. Not me. And for that, this surprise was even sweeter!
All I needed was a few books and my toiletries. Well, my current selection of reading material was a bit dismal for a romantic weekend away-

And if you love me, you know I can't just throw toiletries in a carry-on. So I packed a few essentials in a suitcase-
And I was off! I was telling everyone in my path about this surprise- the poor ladies at the dog kennel! But seriously- to think today would be a normal, routine Thursday alone. And now I'm off on a surprise adventure!!
When I landed at RDU, I opened the second envelope and it told me to Uber to The Fearrington House. NO WAY! I almost fainted.
The night before Brian and I eloped, I flew to NC (where Brian lived) from Boston (where I lived) and after he picked me up at the airport, we went to The Fearrington House for the fanciest dinner that either of us had ever had. We were so giddy in love though, that I almost don't remember it. At least I didn't remember it liked I wanted to 14 years later. I wanted to remember all the details... So now was my chance!
Fearrington Village, as it is now known, is a family owned dairy farm turned high end resort. There are cottages to stay in, 3 restaurants to eat at, a spa, bookstore, clothing & home goods boutique, coffee shop- plus a small real estate development for people who don't want to just visit Fearrington, but want to live there. (ME!)
They have always been known for their signature belted cows-
And now they have belted goats- and lots of little babies while we were visiting-
The original farmhouse, now the dining room-
We stayed in this building-
Our entry way- with a great choice of constantly restocked snacks and waters-
| I came around the corner and saw MY suitcase- |
He also dropped of a favorite bottle of wine, which they had chilled and waiting for me upon my arrival-
And thankfully they had printed off our weekend itinerary and left it in the room too-
I opened my 3rd envelope once in the room- and it was the itinerary for Tate and Macy. Brain had everything covered. Lots of moving parts because of a few activities, but 4 families had it covered for us. I wasn't worried about a thing.
While I waited for Brian, I read, had a glass of wine, and walked all around the property. It was so picture perfect and the weather was gorgeous. Brian arrived for happy hour, and then we headed over to one of their restaurants for dinner outside-
After dinner, we closed down the bar (not hard to do here at 9:30pm) and then went out to the garden behind our room to enjoy the beautiful night together-
In my suitcase, we a bunch of new dresses for the weekend that Brian had surprised me with! Here is dress #1-

Friday morning we woke up and couldn't wait to get to breakfast, over in the main dining room-
We were NOT disappointed!
Then we took off for Pinehurst, and neighboring Southern Pines, where we used to live.
I had been back to the area to visit my friend Lauren, 4 years ago- but Brian had not been back since we moved in 2005!
This is the boutique hotel that I was bartending at the night that Brian and friends walked in and we met for the first time-
We went in hoping to have a drink together (something we never actually got to do...) but they weren't open yet. What no day drinkers in town anymore? They were very accommodating and gave us free range to walk around the whole place and reminisce... My bar-
Next up- Knollwood House, the bed & breakfast where we got married (the second time)-
And a peek in Ashten's, one of our favorite restaurants and where we had our rehearsal dinner-
In fact, its the same band he still wears today!
And for lunch- there was no question that we would go to Sweet Basil's. Ohhhhh the soup-
![]() |
My favorite- the open faced vegetarian-
Not a thing had changed in the place, they were still crazy busy and we were delighted with our lunch.
Wouldnt you know that we leave, and someone opens up a wine bar in downtown Pinehurst? We had a great time there chatting with the owner and all the mutual acquaintances we knew.

Including my witch of a former boss, who has sense opened a new store in town-
We stopped off at the Pinehurst Club House for a drink before heading back to the Fearrington House. Here we are with the famous Payne Stewart statue in the foreground-
The view from our table- the final hole!
That evening we were in for a treat... The chefs menu and wine pairing at the Fearrington House. Here is the menu, which includes 8 courses- but because of all the little bonuses, I think we had 12 courses!
Something wildly delicious-
check out how big this plate is (all their dinnerware is made by local NC potters), and how tiny the food is-

It was all so incredible. Our server was so friendly, knowledgable and down to earth too- he really helped make our evening there. And we left with a complimentary goodie bag- of take home dessert and jam for the morning.
The room with all the windows is where our dinner table was-
Saturday we didn't want to leave the property, so after another fabulous breakfast, we roamed around all the stores, and checked out each building and the gorgeous sitting rooms each had just waiting for us to come relax...
This was Brian's favorite, just across our courtyard, and each morning he would take the newspaper and go sit with a cup of coffee and read the paper-
Then we grabbed some bikes and an amazing picnic lunch they packed for us (with a blanket and soft sided cooler, that was their gift to us to take home!) and headed out to find the perfect spot for to waste away a few hours together-
Seriously- what a gourmet picnic-
When I arrived in the room, there was a bottle of wine and note from Christine and Jose, wishing us a wonderful weekend away. (They were one of the families that would have a our kids for a night!) The wine the chose was a Chenin Blanc, knowing that we enjoyed that because we shared a bottle together at our house on Mother's Day. They chose well-
We loved our picnic by the lake-
The only hardship we had was that Brian didn't have a place to set his wine while he napped. He was thrilled to discover that his sandal worked well-
A ride through the neighborhoods-
On our way to the spa-
We had a couples massage, and then went to Brian's 2nd favorite sitting room to relax some more-
And then we went out to the beer garden for a drink-

Right out our window while having tea, there was a bridal party taking pre-ceremony pictures-
Tourdown service-
And fresh slippers for us both-
Do we ever have to leave here? Oh what a treat this little escape was. Never in a million years did I see this happening. But boy did we need it, and boy did we enjoy it together. I will remember ever little detail for years and years to come...
Sunday morning after one last delicious breakfast, we headed home. It was about a 6 hour drive, but even that we enjoyed together. It isn't too often anymore that we get to take a road trip together, and listen to what WE want. On this particular drive it was the podcast S-Town. Definitely not kid approved. Which was the theme of this weekend away!


















No comments:
Post a Comment