Thursday, September 26, 2019

Getting ready...

September was hard on me as a dog mom. We'd finally picked the weekend that Stormy would move out and into her Connecticut retirement home. So we had lots to get ready for... 

First up, her annual veterinary exam.  She was 100% fine and wanting to leave-

I managed to choke through the tears of getting her a new ID tag with her new parents phone number on it-

And we celebrated her 16 1/2 birthday with her and this ridiculous cake- 

I can not tell you how much I will miss my napping buddy-

And Macy will miss her cuddle buddy-

The day before we were to head to Connecticut, I got a text from Katelyn's mom asking if it'd be okay if Katelyn came over to say good-bye to Stormy. Tears. Katelyn went to Target and bought Stormy some "Buddy" treats (her dogs name is Buddy) and a stuffed penguin toy that only dogs could hear when squeaked. Stormy is almost deaf, but she seemed to enjoy that little penguin, and it was the most we'd seen her play in years and years!

Then Becky asked if her girls could come say good-bye and bring along Emmitt for a final visit too-



Oh it's just too much. I'd packed up Stormy's stuff at 10am and had a good cry. I just never thought we wouldn't be with her at the end of her life. I worried she'd now feel abandoned...

At 9:54pm there was a little knock on the door and it was our Macy's friend Madelyn. She apologized that it was so late, saying she'd been at her brother's baseball game, but could she please come in and say good-bye to Stormy. She said this with tears in her eyes... I granted her wish and told her NO CRYING!

 When they cry, I cry.

The outpouring of love from all the neighbors and their kids was so so special to all us McCullough's. From Stormy's last walked to the bus stop that morning (where she was greeted by the kids as a local celebrity) to the gifts and her final visitor up even past her own canine bedtime- I know she was feeling the love.

No comments:

Post a Comment