Thursday, August 12, 2021

Back to (online) school

 And then suddenly, 10 weeks of summer was over. We spent the majority of them in lockdown- but still the flew right by. None of us were ready for school to go back yet. Perhaps it was because it was ANOTHER year of online school. Maybe not all year? Who knows. But we are prepared fo another year of a sucky situation.

I have been working a TON lately (40+ hours each week for the last month. 45.5 hours last week instead of my scheduled 20) so I was delighted that I remembered our traditional back to school breakfast- 



And I am so thankful for these first day of school picture smiles- 




A few new additions this year. Each kid got a monitor so that they can have 2 screens (which I especially love when in my own office at work), a stand up desk for Macy and Tate came out of his room and joined me in the sunny sunroom/office- 



I asked MAcy for a highlighter on the first day os school and absolutely loved seeing her drawer organization-


She loves school. She loves organizing her supplies the day before school. She seems to have an extra dose of hope for this year. Tate is not at all excited about school. They both for sure wish it was in person. At least this year he was able to choose his english (comedy & dystopia), his social studies (modern history) and his science (biology) so there's that perk. 

The first week/2 days of school felt so emotional. I think we are actively grieving the loss of ALL THE THINGS that these kids continue to miss out on. Sure there's lessons of advristy and resilience built in and perspective reminds us that their online curriculum is still so much better than many, many children across the world have access to. Regardless, it still absolutely sucks. 

May they learn a lot, stay healthy and keep their cameras on when I walk by. Those are the academic goals this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment