For Christmas, Tate got a magic kit and a science experiment kit too. So of course, Macy wanted to do some science of her own...
I googled a few things that I thought we could handle. First up- baking soda volcano-
Let me just say that the above picture is NOT ours! First, we made this paste/dough to cover the outside of the bottle. I made it too wet, so it didn't cling to the bottle and instead just looked like a big pile of dog vomit in the pan, at the bottom of the bottle. The stupid volcano was so anti-climatic. Sure, we got a little fizz/bubbles, but not enough to even hold my attention! Fail.
Next up- growing crystal spikes from Epsom salt-
Looks cool, right? The two "recipes" I read were so simple. They contradicted each other however, so I decided to mix and match what I thought was the best part of each. Maybe that is why our crystals never grew? Another fail.
I have a HUGE box of Borax, from when we made Gack last year (a success, thank you), so I googled what the heck else you can do with Borax- besides clean. And I found some pretty cool snowflakes. Each "recipe" I read said it would take about 12 hours. Boy was I surprised when after just 3 hours we had snowflakes! Finally, a success!
We made a bunch and hung them in the window. They are the perfect winter decoration! Even if it is 70+ and sunny out...


No comments:
Post a Comment