After our wonderful family Thanksgiving, I decided I was going to take a Facebook fast. Over the last couple of years, I have had a love/hate relationship with Facebook and was starting to notice how much scrolling through other peoples stuff affects my mood. People either brag or complain on FB, and that gets to me. Pictures make me feel bad about myself sometimes. Who needs that?
Facebook is AWESOME for allowing me to keep in touch with friends and family around the world, but that is also what the phone is for. And email. And text. And the USPS for goodness sake! It's not like I am joining the Peace Corp and moving to Zimbabwe.
I probably have adult ADD- attention deficit disorder. And to constantly be breaking my attention to check my phone to see if someone I went to 6th grade with is doing anything interesting today, is not good for me!
I have been guilty of bragging and complaining on Facebook too. For that, I am sorry. I have probably made someone out there feel crappy about themselves too. Yuck Yuck Yuck. I was artificial and shallow. Now that was hard to write.
Sure, sure, sure- Facebook is fun too. Yup it is, but here I am a month later and I honestly haven't missed it! Except one day- the day of my 20th high school class reunion. But that was the day I picked up the phone and called my friends. My real friends, not my "Facebook friends." It was good to hear their voices and share silly stories about our stupid high school boyfriends.
Anyway, it is working for me. Not sure what I will do when this fast is over- January 1. I do know for sure that I will not have the app on my phone. I don't need to be checking Facebook at a red light or in the grocery store checkout line. Time is precious and I have spent too much time on Facebook. Is there such a thing as a Facebook Addict? I used to feel these highs and lows in my mood and my family was affected by that- especially the lows! It's been a good month and as I look back, I wonder how I would have found the time to waste on Facebook? What would have suffered? What would I have missed? What sacrifices would I have made?
No comments:
Post a Comment