Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Rockstar comes to town 12/3-12/6

This summer, while driving across Nevada in the midst of our cross country move, I got a text from Allyson saying that tickets to DC were super cheap and she was going to come visit me in December for a post bday visit- ummmm OKAY!

Allyson is my best friend from kindergarten who lives in New Hampshire. Any time I can get with her I cherish. 

She flew in on Wednesday afternoon and thank goodness it was Allyson who flew in that day because it suddenly became a bit nutso in our house. At the same time Macy had to get to dance, Belle needed to get to the vet and Tate needed to study for his math test. Allyson was a champ and jumped right in! It helps that she is a former teacher... and mom of 3 herself!

Thursday we headed into the city for facials at the Aveda school. We were both really, really looking forward to this treat. About 15 minutes from Aveda, my phone rang and it was the school nurse. NO! Tate had a fever, but didn't need to go home just yet... We had our wonderful facials and Allyson got as far as having  her hair washed, and then the inevitable- Tate's fever had spiked to over 101 and he needed to go home. Thankfully my awesome neighbor was able to go get Tate, while I broke the news to Allyson that we needed to leave. She was fine with it, and left Aveda with a wet head! We laughed together as we walked down the city streets to my car. She is such a trooper. 

Friday we took Tate (who was feeling better, but hadn't been fever free for 24 hours) with us to the Pentagon so that Brian could give us a tour and we could go to the 9/11 memorial. (Allyson has been to DC several times, but never to the Pentagon- so that was the 1 touristy thing she wanted to do) We went in via Metro even! But wouldn't you know that on our way home, the nurse was calling again! This time it was Macy. So we went and grabbed her from school, and all took long afternoon naps...

Friday night Allyson and I escaped! We went to the wine bar, had dinner at my favorite Belgian restaurant and then went to a comedy show! Now that's how I intended her trip to be- not dealing with sick kids and chaotic schedules. It was a great night out for us both. 

Allyson flew into/out of BWI, which is over an hour from my house. I was not inconvenienced at all. That time we got in the car together was awesome. I loved every minute of having her here and the deep conversations we were able to have with each other. As far back as my memory goes, Allyson has always been in my life. How lucky am I? 


No comments:

Post a Comment