Monday, January 11, 2016

It's cookie time!

This was Macy's first year selling girl scout cookies, something that I remember doing so vividly as a child. While she's just 6, she didn't need to be going door to door peddling cookies. So I sent out a text to all my girlfriends, saying no pressure, but if you need some cookies, Macy would be happy to come to your house and sell you some. I didn't want to do all the work for her. Selling cookies is way more than just raising money. It's about speaking to adults, managing money, small business skills...



I was shocked at how many people bought cookies from her! She had a goal of 30 boxes, and she reached that her first day with just our extended family. Brian took orders in his office, and sold 60 boxes "for" her. By the end, she sold 200 boxes! She was thrilled and wanted to try for 250. I said no way, because I knew soon enough, this day would come- 
 Picking up cookies, sorting cookies, delivering cookies, trying not to lose the cookie money! We had $800 worth of girl scout cookies in the living room and the dogs actually at a cardboard box that contained the cookies. UGH! Thank goodness they didn't get to the cookies. We had the cookies all delivered and money turned in within 7 days. The leader was very surprised. I just couldn't take the pressure, or the clutter.

This month Macy has had the chance to sell cookies at a booth at local businesses and she loved it! She said she felt like she was on an American Girl movie, running her own business.

No comments:

Post a Comment