Saturday, January 23, 2016

Growing up


Macy loves to watch Kids Youtube (if you're a mom and you don't know about this app, get it! T's great- for kids.) videos about anything DIY American Girl. She was watching a video about how to pierce your dolls ears yourself. I said I could totally do that and once again offered up the chance for Macy to have her own ears pierced. And she agreed! 

Ive always said that anytime after she turned 6, she could pierce her ears. For two reasons- I wanted it to be a special time that she would remember, and I wanted her to be able to care for them herself. Ive offered a few times before, but she was always hesitant. But not this day!

We went to church and she told everyone. So now she was for sure committed. After church, we all went to the mall. I had called earlier, asking if they would have 2 people who could do the piercing at the same time, thinking that'd be a bit less traumatic, as I remember dreading having the second one done when I was a kid. 

All ready- 
 And go!

She was a rockstar. Not even a peep. A few seconds before they did it, I offered Macy a piece of gum. That totally helped I think. She focused on chewing the gum, which is a rare treat for my kids, and not on feeling anxious about what was to come.

All sparkles-

She chose little colorful Daisies, which reminded her of her girl scout troop, the Daisies.

And then we went home and with a thumb tack, I pierced her dolls ears! They charge 25 bucks at the American Girl store, so crazy. Now she and her dolls can swap earrings-
It's been the mandatory 8 weeks, and I am so happy to report that Macy cared for her ears beautifully. Never once, after the first night, did I have to do it for her. She was so responsible, and we were so proud of her. Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment