Growing up, my mom made homemade Kahlua each Christmas and gave it to family as gifts. A few years back Brian and I started this tradition ourselves. The problem is that it gets better with age, so letting it sit for 3-4 weeks before drinking makes it taste so much better- but I always forget that part! Not this year. I made it in November, so that it would be ready to enjoy all Christmas season. Here is the recipe- in case of a house fire and all...
I wanted to take the kids out to see some Christmas lights, but wanted to go with other adults too. I mentioned this to Christine and she was all over it. So I got to work coordinating our night-
It turned out to be so much fun, one of my happiest memories from the entire Christmas season this year. I decided to feed us all first, so Christine, Jose and their kids came over for a big soup supper and then we headed out-
Some of these places were unbelievable! Some had fire pits going, some collected food for the homeless. We saw so many of the owners, and were able to say Thank you to them. Best part- we never even had to leave Woodbridge!Jose drove us, we called him Jeeves all night, and we were able to all fit in their minivan. Christine and I got to enjoy some of my mom's Christmas kahlua, and I had set up a little hot cocoa bar for the kids before we left.
It was just so, so fun.
The next day we saw the new Star Wars movie with the Mann's and Melendez's- but first, we needed to watch the old Star Wars to remember where we left off. So the kids came back for a mid-morning movie-
The girls lost interest in Star Wars about half way and thought world puzzles were more interesting
While we were watching the movie, my doorbell rang. Who could it be?
I was absolutely shocked. This gift came from an old friend and fellow military spouse, who I hadn't seen since we both lived in Germany over 6 years ago! I was so touched.
Tate's Boy Scout troop sells Christmas trees all season as a fundraiser. I was a bit apprehensive about taking on a shift for so many reasons, but we did- and it turned out to be great! One of the troop leaders agreed to sign on to the same shift as us- since Tate and I can barely tie a knot and no one needs their $100 Christmas tree to come flying off the top of their SUV! The kids loved roasting hot dogs and marshmallows around the fire when it was slow. Tate is in their in a tan shirt, wrapping tree for a customer-
Next year we will gladly take on more shifts and enjoy sharing the Christmas spirit with others!



No comments:
Post a Comment