Sunday, August 18, 2019

West Virginia

I  have never been to West Virginia, and I must say the the tiny corner we were in- just 90 minutes from DC and even closer to the Maryland state line, I very much liked!

 Our first night at training we decided to avoid the group itinerary plans and go to nearby Harpers Ferry for dinner and exploring- and boy am I glad we did. I had NO IDEA the history here, nor did I know it was a national park. I know, what rock have I been living under right?

Harpers Ferry is a town in West Virginia. Paths wind through Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, which has 19th-century buildings, a Civil War Museum and John Brown’s Fort, a key site in an 1859 abolitionist raid. The location where the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers meet, known as The Point, offers views of Maryland and Virginia. The Appalachian Trail Visitor Center has exhibits on the long-distance hiking trail.

















  The sunset that night was just stunning!

We stayed in the cute little town of Shephardstown, WV- to which we both were very impressed with the diversity, and quality of restaurants too! Our training was emotionally and physically draining each day, as were the evening events of trivia night, karaoke night, you get the point.... One night I opted to willingly do laundry just to get out of having to be social. Sigh. But overall a great week away learning side by side with the best partner I could ask for in this wild life of ours!

No comments:

Post a Comment