Sunday, June 6, 2021

Cookie Diplomacy

In the last year, we have tried to host a gathering/dinner for Brian's work at least once a month. Once we all got vaccinated in May, June seemed to have a bit more planned, and we actually managed to host twice. Usually small dinner parties. 

Last year I remembered missing out on the Girl Scout cookie season a lot. I mean what is more American than those fun, colorful boxes full of our childhood snacks? In Germany we still got them- whether people "sent them to the troops" or the American Girl Scout troops sold them and got them delivered to us. They were accessible and I dont remember missing them there like I did here in 2019. So this year Kristen- a former Girl Scout leader and Cookie Mom, hooked us up with a bunch! It was so generous and thoughtful of her. And it got me thinking that we should share with others in our community. Friends and neighbors? I'd heard about GS cookie & wine pairings, so I thought that could be a fun time for all. And Brian suggested inviting his international attache colleagues, instead of friends and neighbors to give them a taste of a very traditional American sweet snack. Brilliant!

Brian made this fabulous tasting sheet for us all-


There would be 8 of us, including couples from Japan, India and England


A few of the pairings- 




We decided to host this from 2-5pm on a Saturday afternoon. Most often events are in the evening, and we actually had a dinner we had to get to at 5:30! It was so nice to gather during the afternoon for once. Our kids had plans with neighbors, so they would be out of the house while we hosted. Perfect.

Then the first guests arrived. The couple from Japan. We have only met them briefly once, and I knew their English was limited. So this was going to be a tad difficult, awkward and feel like work... and then Brian opened the gate to let them in and said to me "They brought their KIDS!" WHAT?!?! 

We'd planned this as an intimate little wine tasting- kids? And little kids- 1 & 4. So I quickly went and called the kids to come home immediately to be the babysitters- which they thankfully were okay with. And guess what? That mom was also pregnant! Oops. And the dad fell asleep at the table TWICE. This was an event to remember for sure...

Everyone really did enjoy themselves though and got such a thrill out of hearing our traditions and scouting stories. It was a fun way to spend the afternoon together. On the way put, the Japanese couple asked for a picture of us all together. Sadly, our British friends had just left. 
 And then off we went to our dinner event.... a luau!

No comments:

Post a Comment