Friday, December 17, 2021

On the move again

 The Air Force had very different plans for Brian's next assignment than he was ever prepared for. We knew we would move from Indonesia in the summer of June 2022, and we were really hoping to go back to Europe. Actually, I've always said I'd go anywhere and I mean it. But Brian had his hopes set on another attache gig in Europe. And he'd told all the AF leadership that would listen what his hopes were...

But the Air Force decided they need him to do a non-attache job in Asia instead. So off we go next to South Korea for 2 years. But accepting this plan was a very hard decision. One that caused a week of sleepless nights, tear filled discussions, many lists, phone calls and asking for help. From new friends, old friends, co-workers, strangers and God. Because Brian was seriously considering retiring from the Air Force instead of taking this next assignment. 

This next job would have been a dream and an honor 3 years ago. But not how he saw his "sunset tour" or the last 2 years with Tate at home. But God does not set you up for failure. Growth, yes. So while the next 2 years may stretch us all in ways we wouldn't have chosen, we know that this experience will be one of new growth for us all. 

And truth be told Brian just wasn't ready to retire. He does not know what will come next for him, or where. And having only 7 days to decide, he came to the decision that he wasn't ready to retire in 90 days. It was a difficult decision and there were pros & cons to both choices. He even asked the kids to weigh in. Macy was 100% a yes to Korea. And Tate as ambivalent. I really thought he'd likely choose America (retirement), but he didn't. He has a core group of great friends here, and he realized that if he can't take them with him it doesn't really matter where he lives after Indonesia. And while I was about 70/30 in favor of Korea, I knew the decision had to be Brian's to make. I could be happy anywhere, as long as we are together. 

The day Brian accepted the Korea assignment, Ani planned to make a cake for dessert. Not to celebrate, it was just a coincidence. But the cake overflowed and looked to be a disaster- 

How fitting since it was the day Brian said yes to Korea. 

But guess what? It was not a disaster at all and our whole family really enjoyed it-


Sometimes when something appears to be a terrible, hopeless, disaster- it is actually way better than in originally appeared to be. And that is how I think Korea will be for us. Sure, it'll be disappointing sometimes and there will be hardships, but I think we just may look back in 2 years and realize how glad we were that Brian said yes. God knows what He is doing with us... 

So now we will forever call this cake our Korea Cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment