Saturday, January 7, 2023

Ice Fishing Festival

 We tried something new this weekend- ice fishing! Spent the day making cold & snowy new memories with Tate & Brian while trying to catch trout at opening day of the Hwacheon Ice Fishing Festival- which CNN ranks as one of the 7 best “winter wonders” of the world- only about 5 miles south of the North Korean border.

We took a bus tour-

I looked over and saw that Brian had written this on the foggy window- 


It actually turned out to be awesome! Snowflakes fell all day and I was only sad about Macy not being with us to experience this. She had a scout event...

Each January when the river freezes this town of 22,000 hosts a 3 week ice fishing festival


Brian, self proclaimed unluckiest fisherman ever, caught the first one actually!














The ice was THiCK! Estimated to be 12-18 inches thick.












Sancheoneo= mountain trout


My first fish- 

YOu want me to touch it?


Okay. This one is for you Bambi-


When I was growing up, my grandparents lived on Lake Winnipesaukee in NH. My grandmother was actually an avid ice fisherwoman. So much so that my grandfather bought her an orange jumpsuit to wear when she went out on the lake. He told her that way he could look out periodically and see her and know she was okay. If there was no orange, he knew she fell through!




The smart folks brought chairs- 


After we'd caught our limit, we went into a tent and ate them!


Fish with chopsticks was challenging- but they were SO good. I said that day, and I'll say it again- it was the best fish I'd ever eaten!

Quick game of curling for Brian and Tate-




The snow sculptures were so very cool-


These crazy people in orange on the left chose to go into the frigid water barefoot to catch a fish-


Part of the river was just for locals to fish on, and you could tell the difference between them and tourist fisherman like us- 


After the festival we went to an indoor ice sculpture gallery-



And a coffee museum-


Could have lived without those stops! 

But we did get to grab some street food for dinner downtown, which was decorated magically for the festival-



A day together to remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment