Yesterday Tate’s HS held a Decision Day celebration for all the seniors to announce their future plans. From Ivy League schools to gap years to military enlistments and entering the work force- all plans were celebrated.
Tate has decided to attend the University of New Haven in Connecticut this fall. It seems like he has put aside his 1st grade dream of becoming a ninja and will instead major in Criminal Justice, with a focus on Crime Investigations.
Tate, Tre, Sebastian & Dayshaun-
I sure hope this class figures out how to have future reunions because it really will be fun to hear where in the world, literally, Tate’s friends all end up!
That night we went out to dinner to celebrate Tate- he of course picked sushi- but first we taught the kids how to play beer pong-
I'd bought a jumbo beer pong set to use as a yard game for Tate's grad party this month, and it was such a beautiful night that we didn't want to rush off to dinner just yet.
And thankfully Tate forgot to bring the trash can in from the curb, so I had a place to set my wine during beer pong-
I'm gonna miss this kid! I mean who's going to not bring in the trash can when he is gone off to college? HA!
We really are super proud and excited for him. I think UNew Haven is going to be a good fit for him. We will likely be an ocean away, God willing, so it brings me such comfort knowing that he will be in the same state as our besties
Sara Carlson Leadbetter & family.
The college search
and application process is long and confusing. We started it fall of Tate’s junior year and it was exhausting and overwhelming trying to find schools that were the right fit. From size to cost, to location and curriculum. What I learned is that just because your kid can get in, doesn’t mean they will necessarily fit in. So they need to get in & fit in!
I am so grateful that Tate (and I) had some excellent advisors along the way. Thanks for answering ALL the questions and graciously editing essays Kyla, Julie Washburn, Amy Roberts and Allyson Rockwell Vignola.
And to all you parents out there who will be doing this for the first time soon, just know that there IS a college for your kid. Tate was the kid who always disliked school and needed tutoring from 3rd-10th grade. Yet he got into all 7 schools he applied to and was offered over $250,000 in merit scholarships (some schools tend to give this out like Kohls gives out coupons) which really helps, but bottom line is that college in America is disgustingly expensive and the amount of debt American kids graduate with is sickening.
Can’t wait to watch Tate head off to school this fall and soar!
All 7 said yes, but he could only pick one-

Salem State was a very close second, but in the end The University of New Haven was the winner-
No comments:
Post a Comment