Tuesday, December 24, 2024

Christmas Eve

Last spring Macy said “we should spend next Christmas in Connecticut,” and I quickly began listing all the reasons why that would never happen.
But God had different plans for us than I had for us, and it turned out to be a Christmas in Connecticut for Clan McCullough!

Kids both said it wouldn’t be Christmas without these, so I made them on Christmas eve. I don't think I've ever baked on Christmas Eve before, but this is the season of all things different for us. We had the cookies, and that was no small thing. Tradition matters to us, especially in the upside down seasons. 
The neighborhood we stay in puts out 1600 luminaries every Christmas Eve. We were so happy to join in the fun on Christmas Eve morning when the whole neighborhood came out to assemble the bags together. Fresh snow had just fallen too!

Bella, Helena and Macy- friends make everything more fun!


Off they go to drop the bags all around the neighborhood-


We went to Sara's old childhood church for Christmas Eve, and it was a very unique service. Beautiful New England style church, traditional carols, organ player and youth choir, with a live-ish nativity- featuring life size puppets!

After service we were invited to join our landlord's family for Christmas Eve. They have a big open house yearly, with all the merriment. It was lovely to be welcomed.

This gave us the opportunity to see the neighborhood all lit up with the luminaries-



The pictures don't do it justice. I have seen this done once before in a California neighborhood. It is so magical and leaves me in awe thinking of the symbolic meaning of these candles lighting the way for Mary to give birth to baby Jesus on a cold, dark night.

No comments:

Post a Comment