This past week we hosted our weekly small group, and instead of doing our regular bible study, we decided to do some service projects with the kids. We put together Operation Christmas Child boxes to send overseas to needy kids-
It was such a fun night. The kids loved decorating the boxes and bags and writing notes of encouragement and bible verses to put in the boxes and bags- 
And Brian snuck in a selfie-
These are the items we decided to put in our blessing bags-
socks
handwarmers
chapstick
tissues
band-aides
hand sanitizer
water bottle
raisins
granola bar
tuna with crackers
gum
hard candy
we put this all into a ziplock bag, instead of a brown paper bag, so the bag itself can be repurposed for trash or dirty clothing...
In doing my research on these blessing bags, I came across a very interesting article written by someone who was formerly homeless, about "beggars" and "blessing bags"
Those people you see who make you uncomfortable? Those aren’t homeless people, they’re beggars. Well, some of them are also homeless. Some of them are not. NOT ALL HOMELESS PEOPLE ARE BEGGARS. (Also, they’re not all addicts, though some are. You literally know nothing about a beggar’s life except that they are beggars.)
Beggars have a uniform like any other kind of worker. They have to look as bedraggled and dirty and pathetic as possible. If you gave a beggar a chance to shower and wash their clothes, you would be damaging their earning potential. They make their money by manipulating the feelings of people who don’t know much about poverty. That means they have to play to stereotypes, some of which are like a hundred years out of date.
When I was homeless, I did not beg. (I stole, dealt with charities, sometimes even worked. Yes, you can be homeless with a full-time job. I’ve worked 60 hours a week and been homeless. And I mean sleeping in a car or a tent homeless, not on somebody’s couch homeless, though that’s an under-counted form of homelessness. I asked for food once or twice, but I didn’t look like a beggar.) I kept myself clean. I looked like anyone else. That person you pass in the store, on the bus, someone who looks just like anyone else, they could be homeless. The sales clerk who works for minimum wage. They could have lost their apartment because you can’t pay rent on that salary.
I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with begging. And it’s true that some people do actually just look like that because due to mental illness or addiction they sincerely can’t take care of themselves. Some of them are honestly nothing more than scam artists who have no real need, though, playing off people’s sympathy for those who genuinely do need help. But let’s assume that you were giving these to an actual homeless person.
You know what’s useful, lightweight, and portable? MONEY.
You know what money can be used for?
– the nightly fee of some pay-shelters to keep you out of the elements.
– minutes for a pay-as-you-go phone, which can be used for emergencies, scheduling appointments with therapists, doctors, and addiction counselors, even searching for jobs or housing. There is a TON of bureaucracy involved in getting help when you have nothing, and that burns through your minutes. Payphones? What is this, 1980? I still have and use a phone I bought while living in my car. It was $10.
– gas for a car, if they have one. (Commoner in rural areas.)
– a hot shower at a truck stop.
– medicine, including prescription medication.
– items that protect against the elements, in their size!
– transportation. News flash, no bus will let you on for pocket change.
– items you might not even think of, like pet food (some homeless people have pets!) sanitary napkins, condoms (possibly for sex work? Not something you want to assume though!) diapers (adult or otherwise! seriously! You don’t know their lives!) or pretty much anything else THAT IS BOUGHT AND SOLD WITH MONEY.
Does that include cigarettes, drugs, and alcohol? You bet it does. But you know what, if that’s what they need, you’re in no position to judge. I’ve never been through withdrawal, but I’ve seen people go through it, and it’s complete shit.
And all this is assuming the person giving you a case of the guilts is actually homeless. When they may not be. And other people you don’t notice around you almost surely are.
This article doesn't make us choose which side to be on, but is a reminder not to judge and to keep an open mind people!
On Sunday, our church shut down and we became a warehouse to make meals for Feed My Starving Children. We did this last year, and it was an awesome event and wonderful to do with the kids. This year we signed up to be a team with our small group-
Unfortunately, my mom and I weren't there. She wasnt feeling her best, so I thought it might be a smart idea for her to be seen in the ER the night before. That visit lasted well into the morning, so we missed the event. But the good news is that she's got a new pill which brings her much relief and she's back to herself again. I know God will use the two of us in some other way this week instead...
Unfortunately, my mom and I weren't there. She wasnt feeling her best, so I thought it might be a smart idea for her to be seen in the ER the night before. That visit lasted well into the morning, so we missed the event. But the good news is that she's got a new pill which brings her much relief and she's back to herself again. I know God will use the two of us in some other way this week instead...

No comments:
Post a Comment