My kids would love a dog. Macy especially. But this lifestyle we currently have just does line up well with having a dog. Macy has expressed some interest in getting a bunny. Tate would like a chameleon or ocelotl. Since we weren't traveling much this summer, I told them both to do the research and figure out what was needed- and how to convince us. Well, Macy took us up on the challenge and did a little summer research project on the care and keeping of rabbits. She even presented a power point presentation to us-
We had some follow up questions, so the following night she presented additional research! How could we say no? A bunny it is! She knew exactly what she needed for supplies, all of which Brian was able to order online and have delivered- we are in a lockdown! Macy made it so very easy for us to say yes...
So on Friday July 16 off we went as a family to pick out her bunny. She originally thought about getting a male (they are friendlier according to the research) and naming him Phil, after her favorite Modern Family character. Then I suggested Dunphey instead, and she decided that would be his name.
Shop #1-

We showed up and the bunnies were out of their cages, munching on some carrots- it was so perfect, like the shop owner knew we were coming. She instantly gravitated towards a little orange one...
Stop #2-

Again an orange one... but not the one. She decided she wanted to go back to the first shop.
And sure enough, the first little orange guy was going to be her bunny. Meet 3 month old Dunphey-

I sure wish she didn't have her mask on, because her smile was gigantic! You can even see it in her eyes.. there was just something about this bunny that made him instantly perfect. He was so calm when she held him, it was a perfect match.
On our way out, we asked the shop owner how big he will get and he showed us this guy-

Oh wow! Okay.
Sweet moments started instantly, as she held him in the backseat on the ride home. Not box or cage for this sweet little guy-

Maybe a quick nibble-

Dunphey's home!
Bunnies overheat easily, so Macy wanted him in her room. The enclosure took up a lot of her floorspace. It was so sweet to see the girls, who almost never play in her room, here a few days just being next to Dunphey-
First night cuddles-
We all took turns and were instantly smitten with the little guy-
The first night we had him we went to a friends house and raved about our new pet. Guess what they bought their kids the next day? A bunny too! So Macy & Dunphey would soon be having playmates with Jazzy & Ginger.
Macy loved how snuggly Dunphey was-
And each day she took him outside to stretch his legs for a bit-
keeping careful watch on him that no neighborhood cats or birds came in to snatch him away. He was so tiny!
Macy didn't mind reading, with Dunphey-
I remember when I took the picture above, she said "online school will be great this year with Dunphey." To which we discussed how he would likely be a distracting study buddy for her, but during breaks he would be delightful to play with...
And then on Tuesday morning, just 5 days after we got Dunphey, I woke up to a little noise. Then another noise. Dunphey had gotten out of his enclosure once or twice, so I figured Macy would be awake and trying to find him in her room, so I woke up Brian and asked him to go help her. He said as soon as he heard the noise himself, he knew the bunny was injured, from his days of survival training circa 1996.
When I got into the room, it was clear that Dumphey was peacefully passing away. It looked as though he had somehow broken his leg, and we later read that when frightened, baby bunnies can easily have a heart attack. We all stayed with him, I prayed Mouloud that he would pass quickly, Brian picked him up. Macy held him after he passed away. It was truly beautiful and brutal.
By 10am, we were in the backyard burying the little guy. It was so unbelievable. Like 5 magical days had happened and then he got ripped away. I wanted this SO bad for Macy and felt terrible that I couldn't fix it for her. She was instantly on the fence about getting another bunny. Was it having to clean up the poop? Was it the fear of another one dying? She couldn't say.
We went to look at bunnies twice, neither time she fell in love with any of them. They just weren't Dunphey. I understood- he was perfect for her. Size, color, the perfect balance of activity and snuggle-ability. She expressed how hard it would be to replace him. I encouraged her to think about it like she was rescuing another bunny, not replacing him. Maybe one more time we could try?
The shop owner sent a video of a new batch of bunnies and after seeing the video I asked "what are you feeling?" And she said "not excited but not sad." It was then that I knew we weren't getting another bunny.... she was in a good place and the memories she has of him are so very special. But my heart still hurts for her. She earned him, she deserved longevity with him. But all I can do is feel it with her, not fix it for her. Tough parenting lesson for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment