Brian and the kids did part 1 & 2 of scuba diving and were very much looking forward to part 3 (mandatory open water certification) & part 4- a week long scuba diving trip in Bali! But sadly as the covid numbers were creeping up in June, their chances of part 3 & 4 were diminishing.
June 20th Jakarta and Bali went into phase 1 of lockdown- which meant part 3 of scuba diving- a weekend trip to a neighboring island for their actual certification could not happen. We were all beyond disappointed for so many reasons. One being that without their getting certified, they could not dive on our week long trip to Bali- the following week. It was a crushing blow, as this was one of the few highlights we had been looking forward to this summer.
But thanks to Brian who just oozes out everything about the term we often use living here- "flexible and resilient"-he was able to put in a ton of hours to figure out how they could get certified while in Bali, so the whole plan & trip wouldn't be a bust. Just a heck of a lot more expensive than we'd budgeted for! But, putting that fact behind us, we were happy to be able to still make this all happen.
Suitcases packed, and we all fell asleep happily knowing that we were headed to Bali tomorrow morning. Well, everyone except Brian- who was eagerly awaiting all the results from our PCR tests we'd taken earlier that day and were mandatory for flying to Bali. At 10:30pm he came in to wake me with the news that Macy's test was positive. WHAT?!?!? How the heck could that be? The only thing that made sense was that she wasn't fully vaccinated yet, as she was on day 10 of 14 after her 2nd shot. THIS SUCKS. And she was going to be so crushed to wake up to the news that 1. you have covid 2. because of that Bali isn't happening and 3. because you have to quarantine for 14 days you will also miss sleep away camp with our friends (one of the other highlights of this summer for the kids...)
Needless to say we got not sleep that night. Brian quickly began canceling our entire 7 day trip to see what refunds we could receive. I fell asleep thinking, maybe this is a sign from God that they shouldn't scuba dive. TWO dive trips canceled in 2 weeks. I hear you loud and clear God!
Brian checked in with our embassy doctor/friend as the sun came up and he suggested bringing her to the Embassy to be re-tested. We wanted to rule out covid, but if she was negative, could we still go to Bali?!?! Brian drove her in at 10am and we all moped around the house waiting for the results... and at 2:30 Doc Jones called with the news- they ran her test 2 times and BOTH were negative! PRAISE GOD! He thinks her sample probably got crossed with another sample because all the labs are working in overdrive because of the surge in cases here. She was told positive, while the other positive person was told negative.
So, can we still go to Bali? Poor Brian quickly began rebooking our trip again! We lost a day, but the following morning, off we went...
Macy snapped this picture when we left Jakarta- dirty grey sky-

And she captured this one in Bali when we landed-

Since we were traveling without the Kirkham's this trip, we got to use the driver they always use. He picked us up from the airport, and we headed north. We were off to new places this trip. surfing and tourists stay in the south, while scuba divers and snorkelers go north. We were headed to a diver resort in Tulamben.
Along the way we found a winery to stop off at. No matter the country, the kids know how to busy themselves at a winery-


Our drive was 3 hours and it was so fun to see the new places & landscape along the way. And we giggled and thought of Diane when we say this truck full of cabbage in front of us-

For the last 12+ years, she has affectionately called Brian cabbage.
Rice terraces along the way-


And the viola- we arrived at Villa Markisa. Our bungalow-

beach front, and part of a fishing community-

Turns out we were the ONLY people there. Which made it all even more amazing. Sunset-
Macy couldn't resist attempting to climb a palm tree-
All meals were included, and boy were the fantastic! The dining room-
Love the little- and natural- details-
The view from our table. The dark night ahead is the ocean-
We enjoyed watching the turtles in the pond climb on the rocks-
the grounds were gorgeous day and night-
The fresh juice choices at breakfast were picture worthy each day-
Breakfast at 8 and diving pick up at 9! Off they go-
We had booked in with this dive resort because Plan A was that they would be certified, so they could go diving with and from the resort for ease and convenience with gear and such. But because they still needed to be certified, and the resort did not do certifications, they had to leave each day and go dive with another program.
And I went back to the room to plan out my day.... what a great view-
I just couldn't get enough of the gorgeous grounds and blue sky-
I hate being in the sun. But at 9am, with the breeze, it felt SO good. And I watched some other scuba divers in the water, thinking how cool it would have been if they were mine-
The view was amazing each way I looked-
Then I went for a walk-
A coconut fell just a few feet ahead of me on my walk. I stopped to take a picture and another one fell down right in front of me!
Little did I know, but my scuba divers were in the water not to far down the beach from where I took this photo! I walked right by them when they were out diving. I sure wish I'd been able to see them come and go...
The fishing boats were so cool and so skinny-
And as I was taking pictures of the boat, I suddenly realized Mt. Agung- a volcano that erupted just 13 months ago- was behind our resort-
and then I saw the coolest thing. No, the volcano did not begin erupting... a man and two pre-teen boys (father & sons likely) put a very thick and very long piece of bamboo (think skinny, tall tree trunk) in the ocean, and were trying to get it out deep enough to be over the waves. I thought what the heck?
and then then man got in the water with it and started walking along the shore line, pushing it-
the boys disappeared back off shore, and then reappeared a ways down the shore, to help the man get the bamboo out of the water-
and then off the went all carrying the bamboo into town! It was so cool to witness how absolutely different this process was than anything I had ever seen.
And back at the resort, I realized that you could see Mt Agung right behind us too-
I felt like Goldilocks at the resort, because I had the whole place to myself. So off I went o the pool-
As I stood here on our porch, the little bungalow you see is the spa. Just 1 room and ocean front. I decided to pamper myself and schedule a facial!
Eventually I would take a shower and it was the BEST shower of my life! I thought that the entire time I was showering and told Brian when they got back. Here is our outdoor shower-
and then some leisurely reading in the cool shade as I waited for my divers to come back-
No pictures because they are on 3 other devices- but boy did they come back psyched up about day 1 of diving! I was so excited for them to have this experience together.
We spend the afternoon relaxing, poolside. And I quickly turned it back to "mom mode" as you see in the picture. Was I telling someone NO? And check out Macy's face even-
I scheduled a massage for Brian that afternoon and this was the picture that he captured as he looked downward during his massage-
All the little touches were wonderful.
Hanging out poolside, and reading-
Tate even turned into Goldilocks-
And Macy soaked up the rays while reading poolside-
Brian decided on this trip that he should start a Dad blog, of awkward butt pictures of dads on vacation. There are plenty of women posed in thongs on vacation, which gave him this (terrible) idea. Here is his first picture for the blog-
I loved watching the fishing boats come in and out, knowing that this was how the locals were not only supporting their families, but also feeding their families
almost sunset-
we took a walk before sunset and loved seeing a momma hen and her chicks on the beach-
there were also some goats not too far away
After dinner we went out to see the starlit sky-
Our last day at the resort and the divers final day of diving was upon us! Brian, Macy and I woke early to go take in the sunrise-
and then the divers headed off for the day and I again had the resort to myself! A little less free time today, as we were moving to an Airbnb house in another town about an hour way. We would be there for the next 3 days, they would get in another dive of a Japanese shipwreck, we would do some deep sea fishing, snorkel and visit an elephant sanctuary...
then all our plans came to a halt as new covid restrictions were put in place and everything had to close down-from restaurants to scuba diving. In fact, as they were out diving their very last dive for certification- which was a dive to/through the USS Liberty, a sunken American Navy cargo ship, the police came to shut down the site. Had they not already been in the water diving, they wouldn't have been able to get their certification completed.
We stuck to our plan and moved from the resort to the rental house and again enjoyed all the views we could take in during the drive. From trucks full of pigs to chickens-
and lots of monkeys-
Brian had picked out this very unique and artsy place to stay. It wasn't my cup of tea, but Brian really wanted to stay there, so we did. We arrived and I was instantly uncomfortable. The place was weird. A bit worn-out and not as clean as I wanted it to be. Plus it was less than comfortable in my opinion. Did we really have to stay here for 3 nights?
Brian and Macy quickly found some joy in the pool and waterslide-
There was even a weird underwater cave. A bit unsafe in my opinion... But this guy somehow was able to get into vacation mode-
Me? Not so much.
And our world was quickly shutting down around us. The American Club back home closed. We got word that the kids overnight camp was canceled because a counselor got Covid. Our airline decided to close for 30 days. The last flight back to Jakarta would now be a day earlier than we were scheduled to go home. Bummer. And a logistical mess because we needed to PCR test to go home- and we were up north where it is rather remote, and all the testing labs were in the south close to the airport.
AH HA! Maybe we didn't have to stay in this "safari meets playboy mansion" place (thanks for the perfect description Christine) for 3 nights after all...
New plan- leave here tomorrow morning and go spend 2 days in the south (at a gorgeous resort) where we can easily get PCR tests. It was bitter sweet that our trip was ending prematurely and we didn't get to do much of anything we'd planned on, but I was thrilled to be out of this place!
To make it even weirder- the caretakers had 2 dogs- one a giant Great Dane- that was skittish and would growl at us. Playful?
They made us an amazing feast that evening for dinner of local Indonesian food-
And guess what? The cook only had 1 eye. Which added to the "uniqueness" of this place. And the owners? We did some googling- Hollywood actor and actress. He is a German martial artist and she is the oldest woman to ever be featured in the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue- at 61.
Some touches were great-
some not so much-
Weird dad blog butt picture coming up-
The view out the windows was lovely-
See what I mean about not being comfortable? This is a rock couch-
a bit medieval-
This cool key hole doored room was a bedroom. There was zero chance that Macy was sleeping alone in this place, so she crashed in with Tate
Now this old butcher block in the kitchen was absolutely fabulous-
Breakfast the next morning was at least pretty-
and then we were free! WOO HOO! I survived.
And we again enjoyed the view as we drove 3 hours back south-
This time, a truck filled with coconuts-
And a sweet couple headed to the temple in their "sunday best"-
And then we arrived at the Laguna Resort. Where we were quickly swept away to a beach side brunch-
Which was my drink and which was the centerpiece?
Our suite had access to a private pool-
with our own patio-
so of course we need a dad blog butt picture here too-
Macy quickly found a jumping off tree poolside-
tate joined in too-
I could watch them from our cabana-
The hotel set up in room PCR testing. A unique perk for sure!
beach entrance lagoon-
I was so delighted to be here and enjoying myself that even I joined in the family cannonball contest in our private pool that afternoon!
No fireworks for the 4th of July this year for us, but we sure did love this night sky-
Our flight didn't leave until after dinner, so we had all day to relax at the resort and snorkel-
While I read.
We decided to go walking to see what we could find. And we didn't find much. Beaches were empty, resorts looked closed.
This was a Hindu temple, which I wanted to explore, but could not because the sign outside said menstruating women were not allowed. So I honored that.
Now back to the resort...
Nicely posed kids-
who's dad splashed them at the perfect time-
Tate has really taken up drawing in his free time and I love that I captured this photo of him enjoying his time poolside-
And then it was time to go home. There was something unsettling about being on vacation, away from home, as our world was closing down. I had similar feelings to when we were evacuated. I was ready to go home and hunker down with my people...
The airport in Bali was a ghost town-
As was Jakarta-
Certainly not the trip we planned, but it was full of memories and new experiences none the less. Plus good health. It was our first trip to Bali- and this was our 4th- where no one got sick or injured! And for that, I am so very grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment