Thursday, August 22, 2013

Hockey starts, Ambra visits

Last spring, Macy's buddy, Bryton, started a free, 8 wk learn to skate/play ice hockey program at our local ice hockey rink, run by the city of Vacaville. Free, okay I thought! Macy has skated 1 time, Tate only twice. So we went one morning to check out Bryton's practice, before committing to signing them up... Tate said it was cold. Macy was very, very excited about it! 

So I signed them both up- onto a wait list. Finally we got the call, that 4 months later, they could start!

Last Saturday was their first practice. Thankfully Ambra had gotten into town the night before, as Brian is away, and was there to help me figure out how to get them all geared up! Their equipment bags were huge- 
Here we go-







Time to go onto the ice-

Give us your fiercest look Macy-





Oh yeah, you are sure to frighten off the opponents with your tower of bucket supports- 


By the end of the first hour, Tate was skating without buckets, just using his hockey stick. Practice is every Tue and Sat. Last night we had the 2nd practice. After 5 minutes, the coaches took Tate's buckets and he was skating fine. Yes falling, but skating a lot too! They were really working with Macy and by the last 5 minutes, she too was skating without buckets!

Tate does not love it. He is interested, but it is cold and his wrists hurt when he falls. (Oh well, buddy!) On the other hand, I am worried that we may have a female hockey player in the family soon, because Macy LOVES IT!

Saturday night while Ambra and Kayla were visiting, we went to the circus. Nope, not the world renown Ringling Brothers or anything like that. This was the Ramos Bros Cirucs! I noticed this local, shady, road-side circus while driving through town last week.





A few years back I read and loved  the book Water For Elephants, and later watched and loved the movie too. Seeing this circus made me think of this book and had me very curious. I did my research and found out that they were legit, having performed at Las Vegas' Circus Circus for 8 years before going out on the road. So we decided to go.

I was giddy when we arrived and so were the kids- this was the first circus they would go to. (I have been to Ringling Bros a couple of times as a kid/teen) We just watched the movie Racing Stripes (LOVED IT!), so the kids were delighted to see zebras when we arrived-

(Plus Camels, horses, mini-ponies, and llamas)

There was not a bad seat in the place, which could seat 1000!


Excited little- and big- kids!


Even though my mom was not with us, this was her summer treat for us all. My kids decided to use their snack money on cool disco ball light sabers-
Way better than crappy cotton candy, right?

Well, we were NOT disappointed in the circus at all! It was far more performers than animal acts, but that was fine by me because I get uncomfortable seeing an elephant paraded around to do stupid tricks. I just couldn't get Water For Elephants out of my head the whole show though. So much so that before the show started, I made sure that the kids knew where the closest exit was and our meeting point would be at the car! If you haven't read it- please, read it ASAP!

Sunday after church we headed to the beach. After a crappy 2 hours drive- in traffic- we finally made it! The drive there made it all worthwhile to see my kids frolicking in the sand and sea, they just love the beach! 

A huge shout out to my (now favorite) niece, Kayla who was the only kid- out of 5- to come this weekend. The others had plans, work or just didn't want to make the trip. Kayla, an upcoming sophomore with a GPA of 4.0, is a delight to have around. On our way to the beach, we drove by Alcatraz Island and she told me of a project she did on it last year. I shared with her the amazing experience I had touring Alcatraz years ago and promised her that if she could find a weekend to come up, I'd take her there. I hope she takes me up on that offer soon! 













No comments:

Post a Comment