Saturday, June 6, 2015

Family heirlooms

Some families may have heirlooms of silver or jewelry, but not us Fawcett's. We have wooden blocks...

My Aunt Sandy (dad's sister) and her husband, my Uncle Ray, made a set of wooden blocks for my sister and I when we were kids- at least 30 years ago. Not much survived from my childhood as far as play toys, except these blocks. My sisters kids, her oldest now 20, all played with these blocks, then she passed them down to my kids and we have literally traveled the world with them. 

I came across them the other day and thought how sad it was that my kids have out grown them... Then I remembered that my niece is having a baby and got the brilliant idea to pass them back to her! So with a new set of Sharpies, I gave these blocks a make-over (keeping all my Aunt Sandy's original designs though) and sent them off to Kyra as a surprise for her daughter to play with some day!

As a kid, I always loved the "Sandy's Store" and "Ray's Moving" personal touches! And to think that maybe someday these will be passed back to Tate and Macy for my grandkids to play with too...

No comments:

Post a Comment