Sunday, June 7, 2015

Need a teachers gift?

The end of the school year is sneaking up on us here in Northern Virginia... So how about the easiest, yet very thoughtful, end of the year teacher's gift?

I was listening to a podcast last week (Jamie Ivey, love her!) and she was talking with a friend, who is a teacher, about how teachers never get to go out to lunch, like many in the working world get to experience every day. She said she had a mom of a student in her class who would occasionally bring her a take-out menu from a local restaurant and say for her to pick something and she'd bring her lunch in. So that is what I did...

I went to Panera and grabbed 4 menus, (yes 4 because Macy has 3 awesome teachers (well, one is an aide, but she is still awesome) in her class), wrote little notes thanking them for an amazing year, and explaining for them to choose what they wanted me to bring them for lunch on Friday. I sent the menus in to class with each kid to give to the teacher, and asked them to send home their selection with each kiddo by Thursday.

It worked! They all wrote me back sweet thank-you notes with their lunch selection too. Friday morning I ordered everything on-line while still in my pajamas (gotta love that feature from Panera), picked it up, and delivered it to the schools for a little take-out lunch in... The teachers were genuinely touched and excited about their upcoming lunch break!

Easy peasy. End of the school year gift, done. And way better than a coffee mug that says "Thanks a Latte" on the last day of school... Who wants that?

No comments:

Post a Comment