Friday, July 5, 2019

While the kids are away...

The parents will play! Of course.

The same day we dropped our kids off to go to California, the Melendez's would drop their kids off at camp- man we are good, huh?

I'd recently heard an interview on NPS with a hot new DC chef and was interested in trying to get into one of his restaurants. So we made plans to meet Christine and Jose at the wharf in DC after dropping the kids off at the airport. Whomever got there first was to walk over to Kith & Kin and try to get a table for dinner as a walk-in, as no reservations were available. Melendez's got there first, walked in and got a 7pm reservation- WHAT?!?! YES!

Lynn was asking how we were going to spend our first kidless night and I told her we were hoping to go to this new restaurant by a famous DC chef who just happens to be on this months cover of Food & Wine magazine and she sent me this picture-

Yes, THAT magazine!

Then she sends this picture and says " You mean THIS guy?"


Yup that is him! Crazy that 3000 miles away she pretty much knew exactly how we would spend our evening while our kids were at HER house!

We met Christine and Jose for a drink on the wharf- where we questioned if Christine had made reservations at the correct place because this was a hot new restaurant that reservations were hard to come by. So we sent the guys in to double check, and of course she had. Lucky for us it was a Sunday night I guess!

Before dinner we went up to a rooftop bar for a drink and the view-



Christine and I were sooooo sad to be kidless-


NOT!

Dinner did not disappoint. Except maybe the bill... 

Above is a whole giant fried red snapper. Jose was so kind to give me part of the face- which is the delicacy. Nope, no thanks. 

So he went to town!


He loved it. Said it was the best first he'd had in years- reminded him of growing up in Puerto Rico. 

We still had a week of school while the kids were away, and a fancy school event one evening- 

The food this evening did not disappoint-


We had one full weekend while the kids were away, so we decided to play hooky from school on Friday and escape down to South Carolina together. Having never been to Myrtle Beach, we wanted to check it out. But we decided to stop and spend the night on Thursday in Wilmington, NC- and I'm so glad we did.

We got in late and needed to find food. Thankfully there were a couple restaurants right across from our hotel that looked promising. We decided on Rum Cow and the food was DELICIOUS. The owners were there that night and long story short- she grew up with my close friend Lauren just outside of Pinehurst where Brian and I used to live. Crazy small world sometimes. 

The next day we traveled down to Myrtle Beach-







Now that I am looking at that picture above, I had thought that Brian was taking a picture of the gorgeous Champagne bottle we were drinking on the beach (because I mean, who does that?) But now I wonder if he was snapping a shot of those two hotties on the beach?!?! Busted. 

Oh well, he's stuck with me!



Phone, thighs and all!

We stayed at a sister timeshare property and this one was super kid friendly- we felt a bit bad we didn't have the kids in the lazy river!

We had day time fun, and early nights back in the condo that felt so good-

We had such a great time together. Together. Yes it was a long drive, yes the logistics were tough with school and all- but we needed an adventure together. 

But- truth be told, was I missing the kids? Yup. And here is how you know-



I was desperate to keep Sally, their hermit crab, happy (and alive) all 11 days they were away! I was snapping pictures to send to Tate of her. She was so happy while I was in charge of her care in fact that she changed shells- yes I think I will pat myself on the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment