When I was a kid, I had a set of grandparents who lived in California. So when I was 5 and my sister 6, my parents put us on a plane and sent us to visit them (Boston to San Diego) for 3 weeks. I remember we had a picture of them and were told not to go with anyone who didn't look like the couple in the photo. WHAT?!?! Thankfully we didn't and that trip was such a success that we continued to go back each summer until I was 13. It gave us a chance to be independent, spend time with our west coast family and let's face it- my parents needed the childcare each summer!
With both Brian and I being in school this summer, I got to thinking for the first time ever about needing childcare! Well, not so much childcare since they are 10 & 13, but activities to keep them free from boredom and screen time all day. With this being our last summer in America for awhile, I knew I didn't want to commit them to summer swim team and have them on lock down 6 days a week when they could be with friends, family, enjoying camp experiences, etc...
So I got to thinking- would a trip to see my family in California be possible? Are they ready to fly alone? Are WE ready for them to fly alone? Could the logistics work out? I threw the idea out to the Cali family and they all gave a resounding YES. So I began planning-
Which airport could they fly direct into? My sister, dad and grandmother are all in Fresno, but Kristen and Lynn are closer to San Jose- and 3 hours separates those two cities! How could we do this... well, it all worked out beautifully and the morning of Sunday June 23, when they were scheduled to fly to San Jose and be picked up at the gate by Lynn and Bob, Lynn sent this picture to me to rest my worries- she had this and could NOT wait for them! Obviously-

Tate was not nervous. I think traveling by airplane on his spring break trip to Florida just 2 months before without us helped a lot. Macy said she was excited and nervous... About to check in at BWI-

We rounded the corner after security and saw their plane!

So brave.

While I was taking this picture, I noticed that a woman seated with her college aged daughter close by was watching us. After I took the picture she came up to me and asked if it was their first time flying, offering to help on the other end of the flight with coordinating meeting a relative, as she and her daughter would be on this flight too. I was SO touched! We ended up exchanging phone numbers- just in case anything happened...
Before saying good-bye, we explained the wacky seating arrangements on Southwest. We never fly this airline, so they are used to finding their assigned seat and we couldn't go past the gate to help them secure two seats together. So my advice was to take the first two seats the find together- do not look for an aisle, do not look for a window- just sit in the first two that are together. I did not want them teaching for the perfect combo of seats, walking all the way to the back of the plane in search of said seats, not finding them and then all twosomes would have been taken and they'd end up in row 24 F and 33A- separated.
Tate does not have a phone, but he has a watch that can call & text us and an iPod that when connected to wifi he can text and call us using FaceTime audio/video. Our instructions were to call us when they got their seats. First thing- call us.
(Because Tate was 13, they did not require a flight attendance assistance. They were minors traveling alone, but not unaccompanied- because Tate was 13. What? Kind of crazy that Tate was the responsible person for Macy, but that is how it was. We would watch them walk onto the plane and Lynn would watch them walk off the plane on the other end. Hopefully. I prayed that they didn't have to make an emergency landing in Houston for anything- as THAT is when a flight attendance's assistance would have been handy... so we pray)
Okay. Hugs hugs, kisses, kisses. Tears from me. Only me.
Off they go, as does my heart-

And somewhere in that plane they sit-

Together! How do I know this? The sweet helper momma who approached me at the gate offering her assistance sent me a text saying that they did exactly as we'd told them and secured two seats in row 4. She and her daughter were only 2 rows behind them. Ah I could breathe again. And then Tate called and told me the same, sounded excited and quickly hung up. They were SO ready for this adventure.
I watched that plane as long as I could, even through the construction scaffolding-
And then until it was a tiny speck in the sky-
And 5 hours later, they walked off the plane in San Jose into the open arms of Grandmommy and Grandaddy! I was so relieved when Lynn sent this text-
Sunday night was a quiet night at Lynn & Bob's- swimming, bbq and early-is bedtime. They were in the perfect spot to deal with the jet lag- the house, the understanding adults- they apparently woke up at 4am, but were quiet as mice.
Monday they took the kids down to Monterey and to the aquarium! No pictures... Macy said they had an amazing lunch and Tate was fascinated by it ALL.
Monday night Kristen and her kids returned from Disneyland and stayed over at Lynn's- she couldn't have been any happier to have a housefull of kiddos! Tuesday fun consisted of meeting Kristen's new boyfriend Chris (I never thought that they would meet him before ME!), Toy Story 4, sleeping at Kristen's and an outdoor movie night.
Wednesday a quick trip with Lynn to Target- why?
So Riley could do Macy's nails exactly like her own!
My dad is always on time. Never late. And turns into a bear when people keep him waiting. Kristen knows this. And I was SO happy when she told me that SHE got to the meeting point first- yes! Sister friend win.
She snapped this pic to send to me- proof of life?
My dad bought a VERY fast car last year- and that is the car he picked them up in. For the next 90 minutes, I knew they'd feel like they were on the fastest carnival ride ever. He made a surprise stop at a dinosaur museum that he'd found and researched on his own- go Grampy!
My dad and gram decided to take each kid for 1 night- so first Tate would be with my dad and Macy with my gram.
Well, within about an hour of my dad dropping off Macy, she facetimed us- in tears, saying she was homesick and missed me. I figured she was just jet lagged and overwhelmed by all the fun, badly needing a nap. Nope- hours later she called again in tears. And again hours after that too... So unlike Macy! Heck last year at age 9 she went to sleep away camp 3 hours and states away! But for some reason, she was badly missing us and it was heartbreaking and my poor 90 yr old gram felt so helpless and was trying everything!
Meanwhile at my dad's house-
My dad had sent me a text a few week before their trip with this picture attached-
They are only BB guns- thankfully- but he was so excited to have gotten them for the kid and was really looking forward to shooting with both of the kids. I grew up shooting with my dad, so I trust him with our kids. But- I did say no shooting with Macy. Brian has been shooting with Tate several times, but not yet with Macy. I wanted her to have that experience with her dad, just as I did. He understood and did not break THAT rule. He did however put her on the back of his Harley and take her out to lunch- which was in "direct defiance" of my NO MACY ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE rule. Shake my head.
Anyway- while Macy was feeling homesick at my grams, Tate was loving life at my dads! Driving the mini bike-
Cruising on the tractor-
Playing in his cars-
And then the following day it was time to swap kids!
My dad said once he got Macy, she was all smiles- Thank God.
She'd peeled off the nails that Riley did for her by now, so my dads girlfriend Marilyn painted her nails with the fun polishes they bought for her-
Her turn on the tractor-
Kayla and Kyra came up and all 3 granddaughters knocked out some yard work together-
Go Macy Go!
She would eventually run the mini bike into the fence- oops. That's why we wear helmets!
Time for shooting-
My dad was very impressed with how safe BOTH kids were while shooting, and thought that Macy was a great shot!
A little time for relaxing-
And then the following day back to Gram's to meet up with Ambra for a weekend at Titi's! And Titi brought Brooklyn for the pick up- finally some Brooklyn time!
"No rough housing at Gram's house kids!"
followed by some nighttime swimming-
And old school Gameboy playing! Tate was in heaven because cool cousin Jake let him borrow his original Gameboy-
The girls decided to crash together on the top bunk-
Saturday morning the first adventure was to the Cat Haven- a big cat sanctuary not too far from my sisters house-
So many adventures, but I loved seeing the quiet moments too. Like a beloved bologna sandwich on white bread-
Gameboy play after swimming apparently?

Bathtime!
Hair salon-
Candy canes in June?

Ambra and Mick had a pre-wedding photo shoot planned at a local sunflower farm when the kids were there- so they took them along and captured this cute shot of the cousins-
Saturday afternoon/evening fun as to a waterpark where they had a wave pool, which Tate has been dying to try out for a couple of summers now!
And Frankie J showed up! What a surprise!

They got to see Gianna while they were there too- sadly no picture though.
Sunday was to a small amusement park for some fun with Brooklyn-
Bumper Boats!
I remember the very first time I went on bumper boats was in California and I was probably about Macy's age too. I loved them!
Laser tag-
A few weeks before their trip, Ambra sent me this picture-

She shared that Mick wanted to make sushi with Tate when he visits, so Mick went to the library and got a sushi cookbook to practice!
Here they go-
Nice work guys-
And then suddenly it was Monday morning and the Fresno family fun was over. Mick drove them back to the half way meeting point to meet up with Kristen. Apparently Macy left behind some notes for Brooklyn to find-
Back with Auntie Kristen-
Playground time-
So I'd noticed in the picture above that Wes had blue hair. I figured that Macy was going to say that she too wanted her hair dyed as she had requested it before and I always tell her that the summer after 8th grade she can have it, but not before. Well, in a weak moment of missing the kids, I shot Kristen a text that said if Macy asked, she could dye her hair. In fact I may have even followed up with suggesting that she ask Macy if she wanted to dye her hair? I just knew this would be such a HUGE treat for Macy and something fun for she and Kristen to share.
I went to bed seeing these next two photos-
And woke up seeing these two-
And I actually kind of loved it! Cool color, just enough hair was dyed and it would quickly wash out I was told. Success!
Tuesday Kristen had to go to work for a bit- so she took all 4 kids!
And then they were off to Santa Cruz for some fun. Macy loved seeing the surfers-
Mini Golf-
Lots of boardwalk rides-
And the bus picture of Macy the whole trip-
That's she and Riley riding on the historic Big Dipper-
First opened in 1924, this wooden rollercoaster was Macy's first ever rollercoaster, and also Grandmommy Lynn's first too!
And then Wednesday morning came-
And Kristen got them to the airport with plenty of time to spare and lots of updates to me thankfully. I was SO ready to have them home. 11 days was TOO LONG. 10 days was fine. But I was a MESS the morning that they were flying home. A MESS.
Off the go- or here they come depending upon how you look at it...
And 5.5 hours later, off they came of that plane all smiles-
What a trip! 11 days of feeling incredibly special and loved. 11 nights of bouncing around California, sleeping at 5 different family members houses, in cities 3 hours apart. So much fun and excitement, new experiences and life lived without their parents! I can not thank all our Cali family enough for making this dream come true trip incredibly special for them. All the time, energy, money, food, planning, tickets, gifts, car drives- everything. Every hour of this trip will be embedded in their memories for decades to come.












No comments:
Post a Comment