Friday, September 9, 2011

Forest fire

The night Brian got home from korea I was so excited to just be able to sit outside with him, enjoy dinner, a bottle of wine and maybe light the fire pit even...

But instead at 6:30 pm we noticed smoke filling the sky. Brian instantly knew that it was a forest fire on the opposite side of our beautiful golden, rolling hills. I gave the kids a bath and he yelled up for me to look out the window because flames were on the top of the hill now.

The sun was setting and boy did we get a show- exciting and frightening at the same time! By 8:30 I called our friend and asked if we could come over if we got evacuated, thinking it might be fun for a sleepover. At 8:50 we heard a PA system announce "get in your car and leave the area."

That's when I started feeling anxious. The announcement was coming from another section of our neighborhood, so we knew we had a little time. So I gave tate a bag and told him to grab a sweatshirt, shoes and a few favorite toys.

I then called Kristen and Lynn to ask what to pack! They've always lived in California and are two of the most sentimental people I know- so they'd help me know what to save. I started packing our "fire box" and thankfully we never got evacuated. But- we have our "fire list" now... Since they say our hills burn every couple of years!

These pictures were at 6:30 from our backyard





The next morning- 700 acres burned and came less than 1/4 mile from our neighbors homes!





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment