Sunday, August 18, 2024

Tate Goes to College

It is time. And this is true-

 

From FB:

We did it! College drop off today for Tate.
Some people use the term bittersweet, but my mom often said “happy-sad” instead- and that’s how I feel. Happy for him, sad for me. I’m really going to miss having him around, because I still like him a lot, but I’m super excited for all the possibilities and opportunities that lie ahead for him.
And yes, I did shed some tears today.

This was my “on this day” FB memory today, from 13 years ago. Saw it and my jaw dropped!

Will trade son for bread! Tate HATES nuts and seeds. I was so excited to finally buy some nutty, seedy bread yesterday knowing today was move in day!

First tears of the day happened when Tate said goodbye to Sparky- 


The band is breaking up- 


Nick was at work. They'd said see ya last night after their super late movie together!

Tate applied to be part of an ELC- a cohort of students who live together and have the same major, therefore hopefully holding each other accountable with study groups and such

Can't wait to meet the roommates!

But not today. Tate applied to a transition program for freshman that had him arrive to school on Sunday, instead of Wednesday with the other freshman. For 3 days they would be involved in programing with upperclassmen to foster leadership skills and community connections- and go camping!

Tate chose this university for the solid academics, not the fancy dorm rooms!

It came together pretty well! Tate's suite is comprised of 2 bedrooms, 3 boys each, with 1 shared bathroom. Yup- 6 boys with 1 shower, 1 toilet and thankfully 2 sinks. HA! College kids are supposed to struggle, kinda glad he didn't go to a school where he would be in a single. 


A few touches I left behind- 


And for the bathroom boys-

We are going to miss seeing him each day!

These two have such a nice relationship, they are buddies and have often been each other's only friend when we move. It's time for them to each do life solo, but I know they are really going to miss each other. 




Even as I write this post 5 months later, I am tearing up. I remember how the tears fell as I watched him walk away from us and we said good-bye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment